free topic.... (39)

- Forums - Sign Up - Search - Statistics - Rules - FAQ -

- ΣκπΰΏνρόκΰ - Πσρρκθι - English - Deutsch - 

Ruslana Forum / Off-Topic / free topic....
<< 1 ... 36 . 37 . 38 . 39 . 40 . 41 . 42 . 43 . 44 . 45 . 46 ... 48 . 49 . >>
marinam70
# Posted: 27 Jan 2008 15:44

Cora
I found it now! On my computer it stands "suchen" at german. I didnt pay that much attention about that earlier but now i know. Thanks

cora
# Posted: 27 Jan 2008 18:21

marinam70
On my computer it stands "suchen" at german.

Funny :-D
You can change the language setting in the line underneath "Search" etc.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 27 Jan 2008 23:18

flipsty let's call the free topic. in case we need it

flipsty
# Posted: 27 Jan 2008 23:20

Turbofolk is Serbian Chalga.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 27 Jan 2008 23:24

flipsty
I hear such a word for the first time. But I think that exactly Serbian chalga underlies what we call chalga(it carries a slightly negative connotation), although there are countless Serbian songs, with that typical rhythm of chalga that are wonderfu-lyrics and melody

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 28 Jan 2008 12:50 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

with the approach of February and March we begin thinking about our celebration of "forgiving". The date always changes(don't know why, as with Easter)-it's either at sometime in March or February. Then boys and some girls (me:-)) have a sort of ritual-game called "oratuvane". We take a wire-about a metre long, and make a ball of cloths which we attach to one end of the wire. Then dip the cloth-ball into oil and leave it there during the whole day-when we take it out, it has to be soaked. We take it out in the evening and light the ball. Then we whirl the fiery ball above our heads. Old people say it is a ritual for getting rid of ghosts, bla, bla, but it is a great fun. We have to be careful when the flames almost touch us-once I even burned my jeans. If there are no many people so that we have enough space, we may throw the fiery ball into the air (and watch out for it not to fall on us, of course ). It is beautiful-dark night, and the only thing you see are the the flames. When we spin the ball, it forms a big fiery circle(you can imagine).
after this we have a dinner when every one has to ask the others to forgive them if they have insulted him/her during the year. When we "forgive" each other, and the dinner is coming to an end, we tie a boiled egg on a long thread, hanging from the ceiling. Two of us are competing- one have to manage to catch the egg only with his mouth(no hands-great fun), while the egg is swinging. I usually can't catch it for I'm constanly laughing because the egg is "bouncing" on our noses, teeth, foreheads, etc. And you should have an extremely large mouth to catch an egg. At the end, we burn the thread and it's over......nad I don't know why I told this to you

flipsty
# Posted: 29 Jan 2008 23:41 - Edited by: flipsty

http://freerice.com/

"For each word you get right, we donate 20 grains of rice through the United Nations to help end world hunger"

It's a vocabulary game, they donate rice to the UN's World Food Program. I wonder if starving children really only get rice to eat? It's not very nutritious (nor is it un-nutritious).

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 10:04

I failed on 200 grains in spite of the dictionary. It sounds strange to me to measure rice in grains-isn't it too little? but rice contains a lot of carbohydretes, which are the main source of energy I think

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 11:47 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

and without a dictionary my best contribution was 100 shame!

now I got 120, hihi and now 180, haha.....240, but some words are repeated, with different possible answers. I don't know if it is a real donation, but it is interesting and funny!

and when I think of rice, in my mind immediately spring up.....Chinese

flipsty
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 18:44

nikoleta_rangelova
I don't know if it is a real donation

They'd get in real trouble lying to those sponsors.

I got 2,000 grains, yippee! I can't get past level 38. I wonder how many grains are in a bowl?

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 18:51 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

flipsty
And I wonder how they count it! I played a lot, it's interesting to me, really on my screen it was written that my best level is 42!?

baaahh-what's BURLAP?! I failed

flipsty
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 18:57

nikoleta_rangelova
on my screen it was written that my best level is 42!?

Wow! That's high. Without a dictionary my best level is only 40.

flipsty
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 18:58

Burlap is a fabric, it's made of hemp or jute.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 19:00

flipsty
yeah, I think it's imposible this 42. ?!?!?!

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 19:26

VOCAB LEVEL: 43
YOUR BEST LEVEL: 44
that is!-with a dictionary "duenna" doesn't exist in my dict.

flipsty
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 19:47

nikoleta_rangelova

dictionary.com has more definitions than any dictionary I've had.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 19:51

flipsty
I use a book-dictionary-just like this I'll try ------.com as well

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 19:53 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

duenna=a governess. now I need a n anglo-bg dictionary to find governess

flipsty
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 20:04 - Edited by: flipsty

a governess is a female governor...

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 20:17

hm...the dictionary says governOr hihi, yeah and a governor turned out to be a sort of teacher......I tought it had more to do with the government

flipsty
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 20:32 - Edited by: flipsty

Governor does have to do with government, we have a governor to run each of our 50 states.

Oopsie!! I never miss-spell governor

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 20:40

flipsty
so there is a GOVERNER and a GOVERNOR UNDERSTOOD

flipsty
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 20:49

It was a type-o.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 30 Jan 2008 20:56

flipsty
a, so I didn't read it correctly! It is only governOr. grrrr...
enough spelling for today

flipsty
# Posted: 2 Feb 2008 00:40

I did a search on the interweb and found "How many grains of rice are in one standrard bowl of rice?" on Yahoo Answers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071114185511AAmvXDq

I guess there are about 3,000 grains per bowl, I've probably donated about 2 bowls to the UN's World Food Program, through FreeRice

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 2 Feb 2008 08:55

flipsty
do you now how they're going to divide our donations between them? Not-one bowl for me and one for you, but- one grain of rice for me, one for you, one for mom, one for dad..... or...

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 2 Feb 2008 09:46

Katheeeriineee

Does it happen for you to come to this topic sometimes? I just wanted to say, that now in my Phonetics&Phonology classes we study about different accents and varieties of the English lang. And the standard lang., called RP (Received Pronunciation), in it's pure form is still spoken only in the Parliament and by only 3% of the British people. And we study exactly this accent, spoken by only few %, that's why, may be, some your words seemed strange and incorrect to me before.
It reminds me of a story a teacher of mine told us-she visited a university in UK and there they admired her for her perfect knowledge of the lang., for her great academic style. Once she went out on the street, she didn't understand anybody, and nobody understood her.

flipsty
# Posted: 2 Feb 2008 21:38

nikoleta_rangelova
do you now how they're going to divide our donations between them?

The bowl empties after 100 grains, so they probably only give each person 100 grains of rice.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 6 Feb 2008 00:09

I'm either sleepy, or....
I wanted to check my e-mail and instead of typing my user name, I type Ruslana............and I wait the page to open and stare at the screen, and wonder why it doesn't........

Nikki_UK
# Posted: 6 Feb 2008 00:39

nikoleta_rangelova
i think you should go to bed dear x x x

<< 1 ... 36 . 37 . 38 . 39 . 40 . 41 . 42 . 43 . 44 . 45 . 46 ... 48 . 49 . >>
This topic is closed. You can't post a reply.

- Forums -

Online now: Guests - 3; Members - 0
Most users ever online: 247 [7 Jun 2019 14:16]

These forums are running on chat forum software miniBB™ © 2001-2019 admin | Ruslana. Official site