Vegetarianism & Veganism (1)

- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics - Rules - FAQ -

- ΣκπΰΏνρόκΰ - Πσρρκθι - English - Deutsch - 

Ruslana Forum / Off-Topic / Vegetarianism & Veganism
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 2 Jan 2009 19:43 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

Hm....Has such a topic existed on the forum before? I didn't find any. But I think I know at least two people who would join this one

I don't have anything special to say-just an already four-year vegetarian felt bored and decided to bring something new in the forum.

Well, it's your turn- pros&cons? Arguments? Support? Discussion? Let's go, hop hop

wespecz
# Posted: 2 Jan 2009 19:52

nikoleta_rangelova
Although I'm not vegetarian, you have my huge applause for saving animal lifes!

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 2 Jan 2009 22:06

wespecz
you have my huge applause
Thanks

Esther
# Posted: 2 Jan 2009 22:52

Hey you two

I'm no vegetarian nor just a plant eater (don't know how to convert the word sorry)

I'm not against eating meat as I believe the animals were given to us as food. BUT that doesn't mean we can shoot every animal and fish all the fish out of the sea. HE meant we should just take what's healty to eat. I think we've started/ we are eating to much meat of which we don't need it all. And that's not good for the animals...

Guido
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 01:13

HE meant we should just take what's healty to eat.
HE is a wise man. Time for me to meet him.
But not "up there" for the next few years. Not before I met Ruslana once more.

wespecz
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 02:06

Esther
we are eating to much meat of which we don't need it all. And that's not good for the animals...
Great point, yes, take a look to the catching of whales for the "scientific reasons" in Japan, for example.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 07:36

we are eating to much meat of which we don't need it all.
Indeed.

But it seems we don't need it at all in the sense even a little. At all wow

But not "up there" for the next few years.
Well, up there or down here is almost the same, haha

By the way, waiting to see Ruslana one more time live can provide you really long life.

Ukrajinka
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 12:05

I'm vegetarian 2 years

wespecz
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 12:09

Today you can be pleased by the lunch which my mother has prepaired. Fried cheese and potatoes.

Ukrajinka
I'm vegetarian 2 years
Wow it seems that Niki has found a thing what's common for many Ruslana's fans.

nikoleta_rangelova
By the way, waiting to see Ruslana one more time live can provide you really long life.
Not only by her but also Ruslanning is making time two times longer and more enjoyable.

flipsty
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 12:44

I agree with Benjamin Franklin on fish, although they're not my favorite. I found this in his Autobiography a while back:

" I believe I have omitted mentioning that in my first Voyage from Boston, being becalm'd off Block Island, our People set about catching Cod & hawl'd up a great many. Hitherto I had stuck to my Resolution of not eating animal Food; and on this Occasion, I consider'd with my Master Tryon, the taking every Fish as a kind of unprovoked Murder, since none of them had or ever could do us any Injury that might justify the Slaughter.--All this seem'd very reasonable.--But I had formerly been a great Lover of Fish, & when this came hot out of the Frying Pan, it smelt admirably well. I balanc'd some time between Principle & inclination: till I recollected, that when the Fish were opened, I saw smaller Fish taken out of their Stomachs:--Then, thought I, if you eat one another, I don't see why we mayn't eat you. So I din'd upon Cod very heartily and continu'd to eat with other People, returning only now & then occasionally to a vegetable Diet. So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable Creature, since it enables one to find or make a Reason for every thing one has a mind to do.--"

Karolina
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 14:14

I'm not vegetarian, but also not very big "fan" of meat. If I'm eating meat I need lots of vegetables around it.
I can't understand why peple are hunting animals and saying that this is theyr hobby. Hobby to kill animals? So why no one gives enought attencion to persons who is killing animals, but gives lots of attention to those who is killing persons? Maybe it's theyr hobby too? It can sound very violent, but in my opinion it's true. Because (maybe now I'm gonna sound like abbe) we are just guests here, but sometimes we act like we are Gods in earth and we can do everything we want. I think that I'm going little off topic so it would be enough of my opinion

wespecz
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 14:32 - Edited by: wespecz

flipsty
till I recollected, that when the Fish were opened, I saw smaller Fish taken out of their Stomachs:--Then, thought I, if you eat one another, I don't see why we mayn't eat you
Yes, this is "eat or to be eaten." Human also need to eat. But I think that - doesn't matter if you eat meat or not - everybody would follow this: "Eat for living, don't live for eating."

cora
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 15:27

nikoleta_rangelova
I don't have anything special to say-just an already four-year vegetarian

We had a discussion about this in the topic about food, but not a separate topic yet. So thanks for opening it.

I know at least two people who would join this one

Who? You and me

I've been a vegan for about 25 years.

Ukrajinka
I'm vegetarian 2 years

That's fantastic!

flipsty
wespecz
Yes, this is "eat or to be eaten

Some animal species need to eat others for their living. Humans don't. Humans in most areas of the world can live very well without killing other creatures.

Karolina
we are just guests here, but sometimes we act like we are Gods in earth and we can do everything we want.

I absolutely agree with you.

cora
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 15:28

Reasons to become Vegetarian

1. Live longer

Numerous University studies have found that vegetarians live about seven years longer than non-vegetarians, and vegans live on average about 15 years longer than meat eaters. Studies such as these are further confirmed by the Chinese Health Project, which is the largest population study on diet and health to date. The Chinese Health Study found Chinese people who eat the least amount of fat and animal products have the lowest risk of heart attack, cancer, and other serious diseases.

2. Live healthier

Meat contains absolutely nothing - no proteins, vitamins or minerals - that the human body cannot obtain perfectly happily from a vegetarian diet.

Avoiding meat is one of the best and simplest ways to cut down your fat consumption. Modern farm animals are deliberately fattened up to increase profits. Eating fatty meat increases your chances of having a heart attack or developing cancer.

The following diseases are commoner among meat eaters: anaemia, appendicitis, arthritis, breast cancer, cancer of the colon, cancer of the prostrate, constipation, diabetes, gallstones, gout, high blood pressure, indigestion, obesity, piles, strokes and varicose veins. Lifelong vegetarians visit hospital 22% less often than meat eaters and for shorter stays. Vegetarians have a 20% lower blood cholestrol level than meat eaters and this reduces heart attack and cancer risks considerably.

There are millions of cases of food poisoning recorded every year. The vast majority are caused by eating meat.

Fruits and vegetables are loaded with antioxidant nutrients that protect the heart and the arteries. Fruits and vegetables contain no saturated fat or cholesterol. The cholesterol levels for vegetarians are on average 14 percent lower than meat eaters. The American diet that is loaded with saturated fats and cholesterol from meat and dairy have made heart disease the number one killer in the United States.

3. Avoid hormones and toxic chemicals

95% of pesticide residue in the Western diet comes from meat, fish and dairy products. Seafood, in particular, contains carcinogens (PCBs, DDT) and heavy metals (mercury, arsenic; lead, cadmium) that cannot be removed through cooking or freezing. Meat and dairy products are also laced with steroids and hormones that are injected into the animals to combat disease.

4. Be environmental friendly

By being a Vegetarian you will help reduce waste and air pollution. A farms in Milford, Utah, which raises 2.5 million pigs yearly, produces more waste than the entire city of Los Angeles. And this is just one farm. Each year, The U.S. factory farms only collectively produce 2 billion tons of manure, a substance that's rated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as one of the country's top 10 pollutants. And that is not even taking in to account the amount of methane gas released by cows, pigs and poultry, which contributes to the greenhouse effect); the ammonia gases from urine; poison gases that emanate from manure lagoons; toxic chemicals from pesticides; and exhaust from farm equipment used to raise feed for animals.

Half the rainforests in the world have been destroyed to clear ground to graze cattle to make beefburgers. The burning of the forests contributes 20% of all green-house gases. Roughly 1,000 species a year become extinct because of the destruction of the rainforests.

The world's fresh water shortage is being made worse by animal farming. And meat producers are the biggest polluters of water. It takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat.

5. Help in ending world hunger

Much of the world's massive hunger problems could be solved by the reduction or elimination of meat-eating. The reasons: 1) livestock pasture needs cut drastically into land which could otherwise be used to grow food; 2) vast quantities of food which could feed humans is fed to livestock raised to produce meat.
This year alone, twenty million people worldwide will die as a result of malnutrition. One child dies of malnutrition every 2.3 seconds. One hundred million people could be adequately fed using the land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by a mere 10%.
20%percent of the corn grown in the U.S. is eaten by people. 80% of the corn and 95% of the oats grown in the U.S. is eaten by livestock. The percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock is calculated by experts as 90%. One acre of land can produce 40,000 pounds of potatoes, or 250 pounds of beef.

6. Ethical reasons

Animals suffer from pain and fear just as much as you do. Anyone who eats meat condones and supports the way animals are treated.

When a person chooses not to buy and eat meat products, they are sending out a message to the corporations that operate "factory farms", that they will not support inhumane treatment of animals. When animals are slaughtered, it is violent and usually done by hanging the animal upside down and slitting its throat. Animals contained on these so-called "farms" are enclosed in cramped quarters where they cannot move and have no access to fresh water and sunshine. Every day, tens of millions of one-day-old male chicks are killed because they will not be able to lay eggs. Some are crushed or suffocated to death. Many are used for fertiliser or fed to other animals. Not eating meat, is a small sacrifice compared to what animals must endure.

Sources: various
More information: 101 reasons to become vegetarian

axur
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 15:54

ok let me join here also!!!

i've been vegetarian for about 4 years and with no particular reason!!! but still i read many things about it!!! i took some courses about health during a seminary and then i talk about health becoming vegetarian and so on during a conference so.. it was a great opportunity to start doing what i was saying to those people!!!

but really now i'm in better health and i will never touch meat again!!!!

cora

thanks that nice innformation!!!

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 16:43

wespecz
Fried cheese and potatoes.

Ukrajinka
I'm vegetarian 2 years

Great!!

flipsty
you agree on the bold letters?:"Then, thought I, if you eat one another, I don't see why we mayn't eat you"

Well if they have nothing else to eat but "themselves", okay, but since we have much more, why to do so? And to be the proportion more accurate, since fish eat fish, people must eat people, or since we kill each other, we may calmly let other species kill us

Karolina
. Because (maybe now I'm gonna sound like abbe) we are just guests here, but sometimes we act like we are Gods in earth and we can do everything we want.

You sound very good

cora
So thanks for opening it.
You're welcome I really wondered how it hadn't appeared yet

Who? You and me
No, you and axur

I've been a vegan for about 25 years.
Wow, I have to catch uphaha

axur
i've been vegetarian for about 4 years
Wecome

but still i read many things about it!!!
I haven't read almost anything, to be honest :F

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 16:52

cora
Thanks for the "reasons". Mine is the very last one.

Now going to read the other 101

flipsty
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 16:52

nikoleta_rangelova
The point is - that the fish will be eaten, one way - or the other. Benjamin Franklin knew that we don't save lives by not eating fish. It's not a question of what foods are healthy, et cetera.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 17:02

flipsty
It's not a question of what foods are healthy
I haven't said it waS

The point is - that the fish will be eaten, one way - or the other.
But the point is, that in one of the ways less fish will be eaten

I knew I would start that

flipsty
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 17:40 - Edited by: flipsty

3. Avoid hormones and toxic chemicals
Genetically modified vegetables aren't much better. GMO corn causes infertility, plus they're sprayed with dangerous pesticides. It'd be best to eat organic vegetables.

4. Be environmental friendly

Global Warming is still being heavily debated by scientists, not only by oil company shill-scientists. Think of how much methane dinosaurs spewed into the air, when they got a case of the tutti-frutti's. There was also a lot more carbon dioxide, too in the Jurassic period. Plants breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen...

Sorry, I'm being Princess Off-Topic again.

I hope I don't come off as anti-vegetarian, just a global warming skeptic.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 19:03 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

flipsty
I hope I don't come off as anti-vegetarian,

You're not of course, we are having a duscussion

I agree with your comments above. I haven't chosen to be vegetarian to live in a clean world or to save the world. As long as there are people living here, "environmentally friendly" may not be the best choice of words.

Ruthen
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 19:29

Hm it's a really interesting discussion

Personnaly, I'm not vegetarian, nor vegan. I think I couldn't even imagine life without meat lol But I agree that nowadays people tend to eat too much meat, which isn't a good thing at all, simply for your health! Another problem is all those reasons posted above. I must say I am a bit sceptical about most of them. I am not really convinced vegetarianism is an efficient way to prevent hunger in the world. In fact I believe that other measures, like stopping wars (must sound really naive and childish ) would be much more efficient. With one year budget used for the war in Iraq, hunger in the world could be stopped. And for chemical stuff I completely agree with flipsty: GMO and other industrîal-production vegetables often have huge amount of pesticides.

cora
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 19:41

flipsty
I hope I don't come off as anti-vegetarian, just a global warming skeptic.

You can't deny that we are destroying the planet, cutting down the rainforests, polluting the air and the oceans. No matter, if this causes global warming or not, it is not good. And one of the reasons for the destruction of the planet is the hunger for meat.

Genetically modified vegetables aren't much better. GMO corn causes infertility, plus they're sprayed with dangerous pesticides.

Of course this is not an option.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 09:01

Ruthen
Hm it's a really interesting discussion

Welome

But I agree that nowadays people tend to eat too much meat, which isn't a good thing at all, simply for your health!

Haha, yes, my sister's family- if there isn't any meat in the meal, they don't consider it food. About my parents, I think they cut down on meat somehow because of me (poor they)- they think I like it and inspite of that I don't eat it, so they cook meat rarely to not tease me.

axur
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 15:46

in recent info i read i found out that if the whole world population would be veg, famine will completely disappear... i dont know if you talk about it and if it's in 1 of the resons cora shows

but the non- veg are to be blame for famine in the world!!!

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 15:51

axur
Well ... I don't really know, since there are facts and arguments may be there is some percentage of truth there, but I'm not likely to blame the world population in such a large scale crime I'd rather watch myself, do what I consider right and not guide the rest.

i dont know if you talk about it and if it's in 1 of the resons cora shows
Yes, it is mentioned, so we can talk about it, and since YOU mention it and say you have read it, we again can discuss it

axur
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 16:00

nikoleta_rangelova
hehe!!!

well... i got this info during the seminar, they talk a lot about that!!!! they says that the animals need to be feed a lot before they are killed and eaten!!! but still it's not yet proven if everybody turns veg everybody will be able to eat something!!!

Yes, it is mentioned, so we can talk about it, and since YOU mention it and say you have read it, we again can discuss it

I've not read all 101 reasons that cora gave.... i said that i read a lot concerning the fact of being a vegetarian... but it was when i was following that seminar some 4 years ago!!!

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 16:08

axur
I've not read all 101 reasons that cora gave...
Neither did I, it is in the 5th she gave

i said that i read a lot concerning the fact of being a vegetarian
Yes, I believe you

axur
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 16:12

nikoleta_rangelova

today i wanted to order i Pizza (a veg one) but because of the rain they were not able to order it!!! so i did my own Pizza!!!

Let me present you the Axur special veg pizza!!!

Healthy and full of good and delicious vegetables!!!

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 16:16

axur
I make such also, haha I got hungry, heeeeeelp

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :-p :-( ... Disable smilies

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.

- Forums -

Online now: Guests - 1; Members - 0
Most users ever online: 247 [7 Jun 2019 14:16]

These forums are running on web forum software miniBB™ © 2001-2019 admin | Ruslana. Official site