Learning Languages (17)

- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics - Rules - FAQ -

- ΣκπΰΏνρόκΰ - Πσρρκθι - English - Deutsch - 

Ruslana Forum / Off-Topic / Learning Languages
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 28 . 29 . >>
Esther
# Posted: 24 Oct 2008 18:29

Aniri
Wow very impressing!! You must have loads of time off from school:P haha I would love to learn: Romanian, English (improve), Ukrainian, Spanish, Singhale and (improve) German. I just don't have the time for it beside my work and my other obligations.

wespecz
# Posted: 24 Oct 2008 20:17

Aniri
All theese languages are awesome! I saw your Japanese in your wallpaper. I wish you to enjoy all this and find a lot of great people arround the world.

Radiowave
# Posted: 24 Oct 2008 20:27

i know russian, ukrainian, so-so english and latvian. French - very bad. Also i tried to learn Japanese, but it`s too hard for me. And I want to learn Polish and Greek))). I think, these languages are beautiful.

Ruthen
# Posted: 24 Oct 2008 20:49

Wow, it's impressive how many languages you all know. I speak Russian, Ukrainian, French, so-so English and German and Rusyn... But I'd love learning Chinese and maybe one more Slavic Language (why not Czech, ah Wespe? afterall we DID undestand eachother when talking our languages...or maybe Bulgarian or Polish)

wespecz
# Posted: 24 Oct 2008 20:54

Ruthen
why not Czech, ah Wespe? afterall we DID undestand eachother when talking our languages...or maybe Bulgarian or Polish)
Thank you for your nice words! Of course, we were talking and it was going very well ... if we could not know english it would not matter.

------

I'm also impressed how you all know so much languages. I'm glad to know my native one, English and a bit German. I started learning Russian right now and I want to learn Ukrainian in the future.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 3 Nov 2008 19:36

I just found out something: in the new YouTube function for audio-preview of the comments, I typed a comment, and then Ruslana was pronounced something like: rAslana (may be like cUt, hUt, etc.). Then I typed it rOUslana, and it became [ru:slana], with long U. How should be the name written so that a native US speaker reads it as Ruslana's name must be read?

Ruthen
# Posted: 3 Nov 2008 20:38

nikoleta_rangelova
Rouslana is the french version I guess. The [u] sound is written ou in French... Otherwise it would be pronounced with a ü sound (like in german ü).

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 3 Nov 2008 20:45

Ruthen

Thanks.

There had been a discussion in BG before exactly over transliterating our U. If transliterated as U like in Ruslana, it runs the risk of been read as A, like the voice un youtube does. And they had agreed on transliterating the simple Cyrillic U as OU in orther to make differenve between the U read as A and the OU which should be then read as U only. Like in "should", by the way, as I just noticed after writing it. That's why I wrote Rouslana, to see how the voice would read it, but the man said Ruuslana instead of only Ruslana.

That's I wondered how exactly to write the Cyrillic U so as to be prpnounced as it is in Rusnala's name, not rAslana, rUUslana, or some other fehleres

flipsty
# Posted: 3 Nov 2008 21:07 - Edited by: flipsty

nikoleta_rangelova
How should be the name written so that a native US speaker reads it as Ruslana's name

Generally, we would guess the long U is the one for this kind of name, but, I've noticed that people in Great Britain are terrible at Slavic and Romance languages.

I would spell it Rooslana, in most regions of the country we'd use the OO in "food".

flipsty
# Posted: 3 Nov 2008 21:13 - Edited by: flipsty

rephrased my message.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 4 Nov 2008 14:56

but, I've noticed that people in Great Britain are terrible at Slavic and Romance languages.
Hihi As Slavic people are terrible at... hhm, may be

I would spell it Rooslana,
Thanks!

Guido
# Posted: 4 Nov 2008 20:21

In dutch it should be Roeslana. But even on TV they said Ruslana (short u ). In german it's ok : Ruslana is pronounced the same as in YKP.

cora
# Posted: 8 Nov 2008 16:16

nikoleta_rangelova
And a question offtopic, why do they say THE Ukraine?!

I don't know, but I think you can use it with or without article.

There are other countries which have got an article in English: the Lebanon, the Philippines, the United States, the United Kingdom.

In German there are even more countries which have got an article: Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Congo and some others.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 8 Nov 2008 16:28 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

cora

There are other countries which have got an article in English: the Lebanon, the Philippines, the United States, the United Kingdom.

All the countries you mentioned are with the respective suffix, meaning "THE" in Bulgarian as well. But ...

I think the "the" is for countries consisting of .. more than one unit. The Unated Arab Emirates as well.

Yes, but you can't use these without "the". I was to United Kingdom, I was to Unated States, I was to Philippines.... no

In German there are even more countries which have got an article: Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Congo and some others.

Between most languages can't exist some exact correspondence.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 8 Nov 2008 16:39 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

Hey, I have a grammar in my desk "The" is used with countries containing: republic, states, kingdom, union

The German Federal Republic (but not before Germany alone)
The Unated States of America
The United Kingdom
The Soviet Union

Guido
# Posted: 8 Nov 2008 16:58

I once was a teacher - not a language teacher. But you get 9/10 Nikoleta. Because of unated. My english isn't perfect at all. Cora's english is perfect.

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 8 Nov 2008 20:47

Guido
Because of unated
This evening I am stupid, because of what?!

Ruthen
# Posted: 8 Nov 2008 21:11

nikoleta_rangelova
THE Ukraine was used to talk about Ukraine as part of the Soviet Union. That's why some people might not like when you say "The Ukraine".

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 8 Nov 2008 21:13

Ruthen
Thanks! So it is exactly as Guido said in the other topic.

Guido
# Posted: 8 Nov 2008 22:38 - Edited by: Guido

This evening I am stupid, because of what?!
Skaze mene Nikoleta. You are in love ? I feel it. ?

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 09:38 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

You are in love ?
No, I am in danger of not understanding why I got 9/10 and not, for example 1/10 or 20/10 I couldn't understand this: Because of unated.
And this morning I am not cleverer

btw, I've been in love since I was born, so it can't be the reason, haha (oh, oh, off to pic)

cora
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 10:24

b]Ruthen[/b]
THE Ukraine was used to talk about Ukraine as part of the Soviet Union. That's why some people might not like when you say "The Ukraine".

Well, in German you have to use the article in front of Ukraine. It's not possible without. But in English you can use both.

Ruthen
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 10:28

cora
Yes like die Ukraine, die Schweiz and die Türkei if I remember well

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 11:15 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

cora
But in English you can use both.

Are you absolutely sure?

==One of my colleagues just told me that, yes, they (meaning the British) say it The Ukraine as well. Wow. No rule, nothing. Okay...

wespecz
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 12:29

I'm not good in english as you all but I remember froms chool that the is used for all the countries which have pronoun in their names. (The Great Britain etc.)

Say Russia, it will be without the I think. But say the Russian Federation and you must use the. You can check it also in Wiki.

cora
Well, in German you have to use the article in front of Ukraine. It's not possible without. But in English you can use both.
I was impressed by another thing in your (German) language. You say in Deutschland, in Polen, in Östereich but in der Schweiz, in der Slowakei, in der Ukraine. I hope I'm right, I'm not sure. Are there more countries in the feminine? Teacher usually try to get students in that.

cora
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 13:13

Ruthen
wespecz
You are right. There are a number of country names in German which are always used with an article. And I don't mean those with a pronoun in the name (e.g. Great Britain).

Countries with female article:
Die Schweiz
Die Türkei
Die Ukraine
Die Slowakei

Countries with male article:
Der Libanon
Der Senegal
Der Kongo
Der Jemen
Der Irak
Der Iran

Countries with plural article:
Die Niederlande
And countries consisting of islands, e.g.
Die Philippinen
Die Malediven

nikoleta_rangelova
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 13:27 - Edited by: nikoleta_rangelova

Countries with female article:
Countries with plural article:

Plural and feminine have the same article?

wespecz
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 13:28 - Edited by: wespecz

cora
Thank you for this list! And majority of other countries are without any article? (If I remember right)

nikoleta_rangelova
Plural and female have the same article?
Yes! It's die.

You have different articles in various cases.

male - der, des, dem, den
female - die, der, der, die
medium - das, des, dem, das
plural - die, der, den, die (first - fourth case)

Ruthen
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 14:13

wespecz
Wow in which order is it? I mean the articles?

wespecz
# Posted: 9 Nov 2008 14:39

Ruthen
Wow in which order is it? I mean the articles?
From first case to the fourth one.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . 18 . 19 ... 28 . 29 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :-p :-( ... Disable smilies

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.

- Forums -

Online now: Guests - 2; Members - 0
Most users ever online: 43 [29 May 2020 02:21]

These forums are running on bulletin board software miniBB™ © 2001-2020 admin | Ruslana. Official site