I want to learn Russian or Ukrainian! (6)

- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics - Rules - FAQ -

-  -  - English - Deutsch - 

Ruslana Forum / Ukraine / I want to learn Russian or Ukrainian!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Christiane
# Posted: 15 May 2006 12:29 - Edited by: Christiane

aisling
i speak english(who dosnt!)
Well, there are many people, who don´t speak English at all, even if they´ve learned it at school. But when you´ve finished school and don´t speak English anymore, cause there´s no need, you simply forget it.

Chimera
# Posted: 16 May 2006 14:24

aisling
I'm almost your age and I've learnt Ukrainian last year =)

aisling
# Posted: 16 May 2006 20:51

!Well, there are many people, who don´t speak English at all

Well, there are many people, who don´t speak English at all[/i]
oh sorry! i just meant that a lot of people speak english!! that was a bad way of putting it!! yes my parents learned french in school....... but they cannot spaek french!
I'm almost your age and I've learnt Ukrainian last year .
i woudnt know where to go for lessons in ireland!

Guido
# Posted: 16 May 2006 21:05

Same problem in Belgium. Only one solution - the best ! - find a friend who speaks ukrainian. Next question : Where do you find a friend ...
I know two persons in Belgium, but they don't live "next door".
Same problem for finding a good dictionary.

Chimera, I think it's much more easy to learn YKP when you're from Slovenia ?

serpionov
# Posted: 16 May 2006 23:16

, , ,

Christiane
# Posted: 17 May 2006 10:32

aisling
oh sorry! i just meant that a lot of people speak english!! that was a bad way of putting it!
No problem

I had the same problems when I wanted to learn Irish. You can learn almost every language at adult school here in Germany, but not Irish. Well, finally myself and some other interested people found an Irish student, who taught us a bit, but she wasn´t able to continue, due to lack of time.

Chimera
# Posted: 17 May 2006 16:16 - Edited by: Chimera

aisling
u don't need lessons....internet is enough!

Chimera
# Posted: 17 May 2006 16:34

Guido
Chimera, I think it's much more easy to learn YKP when you're from Slovenia ?
I think that too...I need about 3 weeks to learn basics....
really, it's so with all Slavic languages....

Christiane
# Posted: 17 May 2006 17:20

Chimera
You can´t learn a language from internet without knowing, how the words are pronounced. It might be easier for you to learn Ukrainian, since it´s a Slavic language as well as your native language.

Guido
# Posted: 17 May 2006 17:42

Find a ukrainian speaking person who has broadband ?
BTW I saw Ruslanas promotion clip for Eurovision. Her english was perfect !

Chimera
# Posted: 17 May 2006 21:11 - Edited by: Chimera

Christiane
You can´t learn a language from internet without knowing, how the words are pronounced. It might be easier for you to learn Ukrainian, since it´s a Slavic language as well as your native language.
Yeah, I think so too. So, lucky me :P I find Ukrainian language as really beautiful- they still use some words we used too, but now they are not "modern" anymore... for example months- their names in Ukrainian are almost the same as they were in "old" Slovenish- to understand, now we use "Januar, Februar...."

aisling
# Posted: 17 May 2006 21:18

had the same problems when I wanted to learn Irish

YOU WANT TO LEARN IRISH!! why! im forced to. i have no choice! we dont speak it anymore! do you mean irish as in 'gaeilge'??

Christiane
# Posted: 18 May 2006 10:37 - Edited by: Christiane

aisling
do you mean irish as in 'gaeilge'??
Yep......well, actually, I used to start learning it a couple of years ago, but as I wrote above, I didn´t have the chance to continue, cause my teacher didn´t have time anymore. So there´s not much left of what I´ve learnt.....some words and sentences, but I couldn´t start a conversation. You don´t like it really, do you? It´s indeed extremely difficult, if you didn´t grow up with this language.

why!
I´m interested in Irish culture for many years now and also have been to Ireland quite often. You´re from Clonmel, right? I used to be there 20 years ago.

aisling
# Posted: 18 May 2006 21:10

You´re from Clonmel, right? I used to be there 20 years ago

oh!!!! cool!! conas a ta tu??!! (thats how are you)
im fairly fluent in irish. but we dont speak it to our friends or family!!!

Christiane
# Posted: 19 May 2006 13:06 - Edited by: Christiane

aisling
conas a ta tu??!!
Tá mé go maith

but we dont speak it to our friends or family!!!
I remember the family where I used to stay near Clonmel, also didn´t speak Irish. My husband and myself have got friends on the Dingle peninsula, which is a Gaeltacht....but only a part of the peninsula.

aisling
# Posted: 19 May 2006 19:21

the family where I used to stay near Clonmel, also didn´t speak Irish
generally we dont!! unless we lve in the gaeltacht! i still want to learn ukranian or russian! are they very similar??

Christiane
# Posted: 22 May 2006 10:27

aisling
i still want to learn ukranian or russian! are they very similar??
I´m not into slavic languages at all, so I can´t say much about it. I just read somewhere in the forum, that ukrainian is closer to polish and to belarussian than to russian.

yanya
# Posted: 22 May 2006 10:37

aisling
are they very similar??

Very rare european citizen can say whether it is Russian or Ukrainian. But for me they are different in prononciation and writting. There are some common words, also you can notice the letters
- Russian
- Ukrainian

Chimera
# Posted: 22 May 2006 14:45

yanya
and for me- if it's very simillar to my language, Slovenian, then it's Russian and if it is less simillar then it's Ukrainian :)))

obw
# Posted: 22 May 2006 16:37

yanya
Very rare european citizen can say whether it is Russian or Ukrainian.

In fact it is very easy (okay, relatively easy) to distinguish which language the people next seat in the metro are talking, when it comes to just those two.

"da" - "tak"
"nje" - "ne"

to name two terms that come up in nearly every conversation. Other words who might come up like "" don't have such differences, but then you can listen to borrowings you know from your language (e.g. percent - %) and count on the standard russian dialect particularity to pronounce unstressed "o" as a loose "a" - the word sounds more like "" in russian. (Of course a Ukrainian could talk with russian accent, but this is beyond the scope of this paragraph.)

These are some of the fun things one can do when you cross the Ruhr area by train and people are talking around you.

yanya
# Posted: 22 May 2006 17:46

obw
Not actually:
"da" - "tak"
"nje" - "ne"

"da" - "tak"
"njet" - "ni" But i use da instead of tak very often, cause i used to pronouce some Russian words. So you can be mistaken :)

Guido
# Posted: 22 May 2006 17:46

"da" - "tak"
ukrainian is closer to polish
In Polish it's tak too and in slowenian Da ?

obw
# Posted: 22 May 2006 18:35 - Edited by: obw

yanya
"njet" - "ni"

That would be example number 3. But you more often say simply "yes" and "I do not ..." than a simple "No". Just look at the typical telephone call. (overheard example on the train: " ... ... [incomprehensible burst of words] ... !")

But i use da instead of tak very often

And sometimes I use "yes" or "yep" or even "jo" (low german dialect) instead of "ja". That's living language. ;-)

Chimera
# Posted: 23 May 2006 15:03

Guido
Well, it's litterary right to say "da" but we use "ja" in 95%. It may sound strange that we use "ja" like in German, but it's true. We use "da" only in writting.

Guido
# Posted: 23 May 2006 17:58

but we use "ja" in 95%
Funny, we say Ja too. No is "neen" - almost like "ni" in YKP.
We also say "Ja da !". That means something like "na sowas" in german. Such a thing ?

I use "yes" or "yep" or even "jo"
OBW, we say Jo too. Jojo is a toy and jo jo jo jo is the beginning of Hutzulka :-)

Chimera
# Posted: 23 May 2006 21:02

Guido
OBW, we say Jo too. Jojo is a toy and jo jo jo jo is the beginning of Hutzulka :-)
hehehe, interesting....we say "jooo" when something unexpected happens and we are shocked :P

Chris
# Posted: 23 May 2006 23:27

Polish is very similar to Ukrainian, but does not have the cyrilic alphabet and sounds slightly different.

Chris
# Posted: 23 May 2006 23:28 - Edited by: Chris

Second Post Error

Chris
# Posted: 23 May 2006 23:30 - Edited by: Chris

Third Post Error :-)

obw
# Posted: 24 May 2006 01:21

Chris
does not have the cyrilic alphabet and sounds slightly different.

... owing to the sounds/letters "Ł", "Ą", "Ę". Which don't exist in Ukrainian (any more for ą and ę). And the differentiation szcz/ść. And on the other hand the missing equivalent to "" ... what else did I forget? ;)

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :-p :-( ... Disable smilies

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.

- Forums -

Online now: Guests - 1; Members - 0
Most users ever online: 43 [29 May 2020 02:21]

These forums are running on web forum software miniBB™ © 2001-2020 admin | Ruslana. Official site