Did Ruslana change your life?How? (2)

- Forums - Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics - Rules - FAQ -

-  -  - English - Deutsch - 

Ruslana Forum / Eurovision / Did Ruslana change your life?How?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Erik_
# Posted: 8 Jun 2004 16:00

Hehe ok.. thank you and sorry for being a bit stupid...=D

Nedved
# Posted: 8 Jun 2004 16:03

Erik_ That's ok that you don't know about it, you're from Sweden... :)

Mark
# Posted: 8 Jun 2004 18:02

Erik,
I'm not an expert on this, but basically Ukrainian and Russian are closely related but different languages. They are definitely not dialects of one language. The alphabet in Ukrainian differs slightly from the Russian one (Ruslana's surname, for example, is spelt slightly differently in Russian and Ukrainian!), and the grammar and vocabulary, whilst related, are significantly different.
The best comparison is to say that Ukrainian and Russian are related in the same way as Swedish and Norwegian. In other words, they are both branches of the same family, yet still distinct.
Having said that, I have read that Russian is still very widely spoken in many areas of Ukraine, including Kyiv, whilst Ukrainian is more commonly spoken in the West of the country, including L'viv.
Now that Ukraine is independent, I would expect to see Ukrainian becoming the main language everywhere in the country. I hope so.

_sick_driver_
# Posted: 8 Jun 2004 19:31

Mark
Let's just say that the Russians took the ukrainian and polish language and mixed them together ;]
Also, many Ukrainian patriots are hoping that Ukraine's main language will be Ukrainian. That is why many ukrianian literature professors are trying to purify the ukrainian dictionaries, so that they only contain ukrainian words :]

[.natalka.]

Marika
# Posted: 9 Jun 2004 09:41

The good thing about knowing Ukrainian is that once you can speak Ukrainian you can understand vertually all the slovakian languages :)

And if you look closley at other languages you will also find that some of the words are Ukrainian too. For instance; the words - meaning beans and meaning tomato is spoken the same in Italy, Spain and Egypt and I am sure there are even more similarities if you look for them.

I expect you are all wondering 'What's the point you trying to make?' just trying to prove that we are EVERYWHERE hehehehe

Mark
# Posted: 9 Jun 2004 10:35

Marika,
It's interesting you say this. I'm very keen on languages and do some translation work, but apart from doing a small amount of Russian at school and learning a bit of Croatian a few years ago (just for holidays), I've never studied a Slavonic language. I would now really like to learn one but have not decided which one. I would probably base my decision partly on which would be most useful and partly on which I would be most interested in (Ukrainian is winning on the second point at the moment!).

_sick_driver_
# Posted: 9 Jun 2004 19:30 - Edited by: _sick_driver_

Marika
lol, it's slavic, not slovakian :] and yes, slavic languages are somewhat similar, but there are many differences in the words.

[.natalka.]

Erik_
# Posted: 9 Jun 2004 22:11

Think I know more about the differences between the languages now:) Found out more about it after I posted that post.. But perhaps I started an interesting discussion..

Mark,
The same with me, I would like to learn a slavonic language too, that's why I asked that question=D.. I've been interested in learning russian before and I learnt some very basics, like the cyrillic letters. But for now, I think ukrainian would be more interesting to learn. I hope I get a chance to study it seriously but right now I'm going through some less serious beginner lessons on the net. Hope I'll get to learn some basics from that at least.=D

Mark
# Posted: 9 Jun 2004 22:40

Erik,
Here in the United Kingdom, it's hard to find courses in Ukrainian. However, there are some self-taught courses available (I found some on www.amazon.co.uk).
My main foreign languages are Swedish, Norwegian and Danish - I started by learning Norwegian but now I think I'm more familiar with Swedish (having done more translating work from Swedish than Norwegian). I did some Croatian a few years ago to help on holiday and really "fell in love" with Slavonic languages because they are different to the Germanic ones. I didn't learn that much, but I remember having nightmares about perfective and imperfective verbs!
Isn't it amazing that we've got two people from different countries on this messageboard thinking of learning a language because of the Eurovision Song Contest!

Marika
# Posted: 10 Jun 2004 09:36

Marika
lol, it's slavic, not slovakian :] and yes, slavic languages are somewhat similar, but there are many differences in the words.

At least you knew what I was on about ;)

Thx for the correction btw :D

Marika
# Posted: 10 Jun 2004 09:50 - Edited by: Marika

For those of you who wish to have a taster of Ukrainian visit this web site and see if you can get on with our language...

[url=]http://www.ukma.kiev.ua/pub/courses/UFL/[/url]

HINT:
1> The best way to speak Ukrainian is to FORGET your English, because Ukrainian is spoken phonetically; which is why we have 32 letters in our alphabet - they are sounds as oppsed to the normal letters in the enlish alphabet.
2> Don't be fooled by how our language sounds, because even though it can sound harsh and as it we angry all the time our respect is used in the words we choose to speak. eg. My name is but when my mum was alive she would call me or even , and there are many other variants BUT they all mean the same...that my name was spoken lovingly by my mother.

Hope I have explained this properly, if not then forgive me but I am sure someone will correct me :)

Erik_
# Posted: 10 Jun 2004 10:26

You're right Mark, think it's hard to find courses in ukrainian here in Sweden too, russian is more common. I've always liked slavonic languages because it feels so exotic. Even though I'm just trying to learn it for fun, i think it would be a interesting skill to master.
And yes it's amazing:D thanks to ruslana more people have got interested in Ukraine!

Marika,

I've started that course a couple of days ago, maybe a good way to learn the basics and some grammar rules.
You're right (I think) about that you have to forget your english. When I was trying to learn russian I heard that it's hard to learn a language if you "think" in your main language, then translate it into the foreign language you're learning. You must think what you're saying in the other language ... something :D
Think many people are trying to to this "translations" in their brain when speaking a foreign language. I'm studying spanish at school now and actually, it feels easier by doing this way.

Hmm did you get that? I'm not sure about this but when you think about it, it sounds right, right?

. see?:D

Mark
# Posted: 10 Jun 2004 11:09

Erik,
Marika is absolutely right about forgetting English. I think this is true whichever language you are learning. If you are constantly translating from your own language when trying to speak, you are making it a two-stage process and that makes it twice as hard!
I have just read somewhere (can't remember where) that Ukrainian is considered to be the closest living language to Old Church Slavonic.
I still can't decide which one to study! I'm quite keen on learning Czech or Polish, too!

Marika,
Thanks for the link to the umka.kiev.ua site. In fact, I don't think the Slavonic languages sound harsh at all. They look a bit scary to us because of all the consonant clusters - but I think the Cyrillic alphabet helps there because one letter can be used where Roman would need several. I think the Slavonic languages written in Roman letters look more frightening!
No need to worry about your explanation - you explained it really well.

Marika
# Posted: 11 Jun 2004 08:59 - Edited by: Marika

Hi Mark...The reason I said that some people think that Ukrainian is a harsh language is because whenever my father and I would go to our local English pub or club, I would be told to talk 'nicer' to him. This would always confuse me because I have always respected him. He was a practical joker too, which didn't help; escpecially when he would look innocently at a stranger and say I was talking about them! Even though I WASN'T :/

have you seen this site btw?

[url=http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/Learn/Ukrainian.asp][/url]

Erik_
# Posted: 12 Jun 2004 02:08

I've seen that site too Marika. :D Thinking about trying it, but first I'm going to finish that online course..

Marika
# Posted: 13 Jun 2004 12:07

Good for you Eric

Am thinking of maybe doing that on-line course myself to refresh my memory of my language, because I so rarely use it these days that I think I have started forgetting some owrds

Mark
# Posted: 13 Jun 2004 19:14

Marika,
Many thanks for the info about the web site.

Marika
# Posted: 16 Jun 2004 09:45

Mark

era
# Posted: 22 Jun 2004 12:52

ruslana changed all my life.before i didnt know what does it mean music.she is so special,shes great!!!!!!

I ADORE YOU INFINITE...............ERA

Carl Jokl
# Posted: 13 Feb 2005 00:38

I was hpong perhaps you could help me. I am trying to learn a bit of Ukranian. One of my university friends is from a Ukranian family and I have been having a go at leaning some but I have not learned much so far. I have a "Teach yourself Ukranian" book which I bought. This is ok but I wanted to get a good Ukranian dictionary to go with it. I bought one of the only ones I could find on Amazon and it is really rubbish. Does anyone know how I would go about finding a good quality English - Ukranian dictionary?

Lussekatt
# Posted: 13 Feb 2005 00:43

Carl Jokl

hmm.....welcome to the forum of Ruslana...!

Sugababes
# Posted: 13 Feb 2005 20:02

Ruslana is amazing!I think she is beutiful,yong girl with nice voice!

SKILER
# Posted: 13 Feb 2005 20:12

She's the best ever!!!

Christiane
# Posted: 13 Feb 2005 20:12

Lussekatt
hmm.....welcome to the forum of Ruslana...!
You´re not sure about the reasons, Carl has joined the forum, right? ;-)

Matejci
# Posted: 14 Feb 2005 10:06

Yes, Ruslana changed my live...last year she was the best in Evrovision, i was sooo happy that she won...I love her songs, her DANCE...show, energy...she's always happy....she gives me positive energy ..RUSLANA you are the best!!! ;)

Sylvia84
# Posted: 14 Feb 2005 13:52

Hi everybody!

This is my first time here.
First of all I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Sylvia and I'm from the Netherlands. I'm a big ABBA-fan and I also love Ruslana!
I've just bought her album Wild Dances and I love it!!!!
She is very talented and has a beautiful voice!
I hope that she will come to the Netherlands or Hungary to give concerts!

Bye,
Sylvia

Christiane
# Posted: 14 Feb 2005 14:09

Sylvia84
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Nika
# Posted: 19 Mar 2005 18:13

!!!! , . , , , . !!!!!

Lussekatt
# Posted: 19 Mar 2005 18:16

Nika

shchyro vitayu to forum :-)

Ivan
# Posted: 19 Mar 2005 19:46

Nika
Welcome !!!!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :-p :-( ... Disable smilies

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.

- Forums -

Online now: Guests - 5; Members - 0
Most users ever online: 43 [29 May 2020 02:21]

These forums are running on bulletin board software miniBB™ © 2001-2021 admin | Ruslana. Official site