- Home - Registrierung - Antwort - Suchen - Statistik - Regeln - FAQ

- ΣκπΰΏνρόκΰ - Πσρρκθι - English - Deutsch - 

Ruslana Forum / Wild Energy project / English version of the book
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Autor Beitrag
yanya
# Gesendet: 14 Jul 2006 11:18
Antwort 

Along with Cora we decided to tease you a bit and post here a part of the plot of the book "Wild energy. Lana" before you'll have a chance to read it by yourself. Enjoy!

Lana works as a pixel (actually from the beginning of the book we don't know the name of the main heroine - just a girl tells her story). Every day an hour before the sunset she goes to the only one hill in the town. She wears her clothes - a shirt which is exactly for her hight. A shirt consists of the different coloured parts: red from the front, white from behind, yellow from the right and blue from the left. She wears also an earphones and glasses to see the sun. This is the only chance for the people to see the sun during this period. Through her earphones she gets the information about what to do this or that minute. 20 minutes per day all the people who work as pixels show the energetic show for the citizens of the town. They feel the rhythm in their earphones, move in this rhythm and with the help of their coloured clothes make one screen with pictures and words.

After the working day pixels get their wages - energy packages. Pixels wear cuffs with tiny needles inside and the warmth goes to the heart throught these needles. Pixels who were fined during their work don't get energy packages and they can die. They don't have the energy for life in themselves - they are dependent. They are synthetics.

One day Lanas friend Eva got a fine for a mistake during the show - she has left without an energy package. Lana decided to help her. They went to the center of the town looking for the people who sell energy packages as they have heard through hearsay. It's very dangerous cause there are enegry policemen who are eager to catch the people who use illegal energy packages. Lana and Eva found those people and bought the package for the money they had treasured up. They managed to escape from the policemen and got home. The energy package was a fake.

The next day Eva wasn't at her working place. She has gone. She has left a short letter: "The Factory exists for real. Thank you for everything!" People believed that there is a Factory where people don't worry about their energy packages. They don't even know such a word "package". And there is enough energy for everybody.

After Evas death (and that's what hapenned for real with her when she was missing) Lana got acquainted with Rumos - salesmen of instruments. He presented her with a drum with picture of the wolf on it and with the hidden stylet in it. Rumos was the first person who told Lana about the wild people. He saw wildness in her. And that was the start.

She climbed the highsored building with huge difficulties and on the roof of the building saw discovered a night club "Stripped roof". A lot of people were very special with wings behind their back. And at the midnight Lana experienced she's wild and she can do without energy packages. She can produce energy with her own rhythm.

Lana sets out to find the Factory and destroy it. On her way she experiences a lot of dangerous adventures until she finally discovers the secret of the Factory.

D39
Antwort 

yanya
Thanx for the TEASING! Hahaha! Maybe u could keep on... adding little by little until the story is complete??? :)

Tim
Antwort 

Wow, exciting teaser!
Looking forward to buy the book in shops :)

Lussekatt
Antwort 

yanya and Cora

Thanks a buch for this really interesting teaser. I- who are not used to the science fiction thinking - emediately get some realistic related questions:

Lana works as a pixel (actually from the beginning of the book we don't know the name of the main heroine

Pixel?? (cant find that word in my dictionary) Heroine??

After the working day pixels get their wages - energy packages

what about the rest of the city? what is their work? what about children and eldery people who dont work, how do they get their energy to live if not via their workplace?
Mothers who have babies they get two packages to give to their baby as well?

They have to work seven days a week and never have a day off as they have to get their energy packages everyday? Or they get a bunch of them when going on Holiday?
can a boss do an exception for a worker he like? Or he didnt like Eva, to have her death on his conscience....

whats the name of the city and in what country is it? or is it in space?.....

anyhow it seemes to be a really rough and stressful society if you cant make a mistake and are judged to die for it.....

Lana and Eva found those people and bought the package for the money they had treasured up.

They do have money.... then what for, everything else than to live? They dont get money as payback for work, then where do they get their money from? They have to buy food as we do?

People believed that there is a Factory where people don't worry about their energy packages. They don't even know such a word "package". And there is enough energy for everybody.

Thats sounds good in my impression, like the idealic workplace for everyone, a positive thing. Not threatening or stressful to get the everyday energy

Lana sets out to find the Factory and destroy it.

huh?? if its a good factory then why is she set (or SENDS) out to destroy it??

Or is it just Lusse who missed the entire point of the whole story??

D39
Antwort 

Lussekatt
Pixel??
A pixel (short for picture element, using the common abbreviation "pix" for "picture") is one of the many tiny dots that make up the representation of a picture in a computer's memory. The intensity of each pixel is variable; in color systems, each pixel has typically three or four dimensions of variability such as red, green and blue, or cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

what about the rest of the city? what is their work? what about children and eldery people who dont work, how do they get their energy to live if not via their workplace?

They're not humans... they're pixels... ;)

All is confusing 'cuz we don't know the whole book... and we know only a very compressed plot... ;)

Lussekatt
Antwort 

D39
one of the many tiny dots that make up the representation of a picture in a computer's memory.

I know that but I didnt understand why this word was used for Lanas worktitle.

each pixel has typically three or four dimensions of variability such as red, green and blue, or cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

hm...right , and that is referred in Lanas dress in the story above.

They're not humans... they're pixels... ;)

um...? but I thought that it was just the name of the kind of work as Lana do, to show energic show to the citizens, you see:

Lana works as a pixel ....
20 minutes per day all the people who work as pixels show the energetic show for the citizens of the town.

so whats the name of all citizens, we are called humans and they...?

All is confusing 'cuz we don't know the whole book... and we know only a very compressed plot... ;)

I know, its compressed indeed but I cant help having my questions about it....

D39
Antwort 

Lussekatt
I know that but I didnt understand why this word was used for Lanas worktitle.
Aha.

hm...right , and that is referred in Lanas dress in the story above.
Yup... That's how they did the show of colors ;)

um...? but I thought that it was just the name of the kind of work as Lana do, to show energic show to the citizens, you see:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm... dunno what to say... o.O

Pixels or Pixelians??? Hahahahahahaha! :)))

I know, its compressed indeed but I cant help having my questions about it....
I know... That's the reason. ;)

Lussekatt
Antwort 

on second thought. The factory is of course the sourse of the energypackages. And how it gets its energy from the first place might be a good reason for Lana to destroy it. Everything might not be so good as it looks like.....

Silent Man
Antwort 

yanya&cora
Impressive story! Thanks!

Lussekatt
# Gesendet: 14 Jul 2006 15:55 - Edited by: Lussekatt
Antwort 

actually from the beginning of the book we don't know the name of the main heroine - just a girl tells her story

pjoff...I totally missed the translation for the word "heroine". For me the word "heroin" is a kind of drug in swedish, and I was referring to that and didnt get it....but now...of course its the word for a female hero!!!

Even if Im lucky to one days get my hands of the english version of this book, I dont think I can read it. I have reading difficulties (especially with long and much text without photos) and to read it in english and dont get all words will take years for me. I wont have that patience. I have never read an english written book. I never read books in swedish...(not even magasines of newspapers). but if it was a moviefilm I would be able to take part of it!

yanya
# Gesendet: 14 Jul 2006 16:55
Antwort 

Lussekatt
So many questions....Lussekatt I will choose some of them to answer and the rest will be a mistery for now.

whats the name of the city and in what country is it?
no name of the city or the town. But it's not in the space :)

Thats sounds good in my impression, like the idealic workplace for everyone, a positive thing. Not threatening or stressful to get the everyday energy
remember Ruslana mentioned about the philosophy in the book?

Or is it just Lusse who missed the entire point of the whole story??
No, it's Lusse who is very curious and who will read the book on one breath!

Everything might not be so good as it looks like.....
keep on thinkin about it.

You know i think it's very nice you have a lot of questions and my story really teasing you.... And you can let your imagination go ahead!

Lussekatt
# Gesendet: 14 Jul 2006 19:20 - Edited by: Lussekatt
Antwort 

yanya
no name of the city or the town.

? I thought it was the same place, but just diffrent terms of it. but yes, a city is a centre of a town....it would be nice to know the name of the place where Lana grew up..

remember Ruslana mentioned about the philosophy in the book?

um no.....

No, it's Lusse who is very curious and who will read the book on one breath!

I really wish from my heart that I could do such a thing, read it in one breath, but I cant, its impossible

my story really teasing you.... And you can let your imagination go ahead!

yes actually it really do teasing me, I hope I find answers the rest one day, but Im really not on imagine science fiction stories.

But you got me curious now, thats positive and I also watched the "Wild Energy" video again to see some references to the book plot

cora
# Gesendet: 15 Jul 2006 11:39
Antwort 

Lussekatt

LOL! I really like your thoughts and questions. I had the same. I wondered what about the rest of the world. Do more than this one city exist? Have they all got their own factory?

But a) we don't know, if this is described in the book and b) it is a science fiction/fantasy story - it doesn't need to be logic ;-)

They have to buy food as we do?

No, they don't eat. They are synthetic. They live on the energy packages they get.

huh?? if its a good factory then why is she set (or SENDS) out to destroy it??

Lana finds out that the factory draws its energy from slaves. THat's why she wants to destroy it.

Synthetics.

yanya
the rest will be a mistery for now.

Meanwhile I think more details should be revealed. It can take many months, before we poor foreigner will be able to read the book and some of us will never... So, what do you think? Canl you make a sequal? Every week a chapter :-)?

Silent Man
# Gesendet: 15 Jul 2006 12:55 - Edited by: Silent Man
Antwort 

cora
Lana finds out that the factory draws its energy from slaves. THat's why she wants to destroy it.

And when Lana destroys the factory, a big wild energy explosion happens and it sends off Lana to the past ages!

And then, Lana tries to find out how to get "back to the future"! :-P

yanya
# Gesendet: 15 Jul 2006 18:11
Antwort 

cora
Canl you make a sequal? Every week a chapter :-)?

i can, you know me, but i am sure somebody will be very mad about it from the publishing company :( Can you ask OK about it?

cora
# Gesendet: 15 Jul 2006 20:16
Antwort 

Silent Man
And then, Lana tries to find out how to get "back to the future"! :-P

LOL.

yanya
but i am sure somebody will be very mad about it from the publishing company :(

Why? The book is published. You are not telling secrets. Of course you can't rewrite the book here. But a summary is nothing to be mad about.

Lussekatt
Antwort 

cora

LOL! I really like your thoughts and questions. I had the same. I wondered what about the rest of the world. Do more than this one city exist? Have they all got their own factory?

LOL! Good to know that Im not the only one ;-)

it is a science fiction/fantasy story - it doesn't need to be logic ;-)
right, I guess thats why I dont take part of them. I need stories to be logical. Im not a fantasythinking person unfortunately...

Every week a chapter :-)?

YES!! I would really really be interested and follow it if so, at least I would try my best to follow it!

Silent Man
And when Lana destroys the factory, a big wild energy explosion happens and it sends off Lana to the past ages!

interesting Irene
# Gesendet: 25 Jul 2006 16:16 - Edited by: interesting Irene
Antwort 

All rights reserved. It's forbidden to use this text for commercial purpose.

Chapter 1.

I work as a pixel. Every day an hour before the sunset I come through a big checkpoint at the foot of the only hill in the town. I put my identity card to a sensor. In the stream of the other workers I step to the checkrooms. The number of my cell - 401/512 is also a number of my working place in the centre of the screen. I'm a good, qualified pixel.
In the locker are kept my overalls, fit precisely to my length - to the heels. I wear my overalls above the thick black tights. Fasten the sticker behind. The fastener on the overalls has to lay precisely on the 4-th vertebra. Millimetre left or right - the light will fall on another angle - and it is spoilage in work. We're fined for this.
Having dressed, I take the earphones and the sunglasses on a shelf. Barefoot I leave the checkrooms and go upstairs after the other pixels. It took much time to go, but I've got used to this. From here, from the stairs, the town is seen excellent.
I go, having picked up the edges of the overalls, trying not to step on the other laps. The town is left below, dark, being bristled up with the towers. At this time during the day people usually go into the streets - to watch the energy show. And those who live in low houses - sometimes [they] stack on the flat roofs, in order for them to make it more comfortable to look into the sky.
I go until I reach the grade "401", and then I turn left. Make my way through the narrow passageway, on my way I greet with other pixels. Eve has a 513 place, and I have 512. She says that I'm lucky, because I got a lucky number. I would have traded with her with a big pleasure, but it was strictly forbidden by the rules. We can be fined for this so that we can kick the bucket.
Eve always comes before me. When I reach the place, she's already sitting on her platform with her legs crossed and crunching with her chips. I take a sit next to her and she entertains to me. She always does this even if the last slice is left.
The hill at the left and at the right of us - the flat ground on the hillside - is fully filled with people and buzzes like a beehive. It's about 15 minutes left before the sunset. The edge of heaven on the south-west becomes brighter. There are the low, solid and silvery clouds above our heads.
The countdown starts in the earphones: 57, 56... We get up, wear the glasses, check the fastener of the overalls on the 4-th vertebra and turn our faces to the south-west. The wind rocks the heavy edges of our working clothes.
The platform under the bare foots is smooth and shaggy simultaneously. The countdown continues: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ... start!
And the rhythm comes.
When I'm asked about our work I cannot describe it clearly. The rhythm can be simple, then it means just "red", "yellow", "blue" or "white". At the beginning, in a headband, there's always a simple rhythm. I pull my hands apart and the overalls swings around to the full extent. It's red at the front and white at the behind. At rising up the right hand the yellow fold will come to light, and blue at raising the left. You see, it's very simple: I turn on my platform and change the colour. And if the silence comes on the earphones, I throw the edges [of the overalls] on my head. On the inner side the overalls are black. Preparedness test was passed successfully. We stand with our faces turned to the south-west, where the edge of the clouds become brighter. All screen is filled with red now, but nobody sees it except the administrator on duty and several technical assistants...
At this second the sun, on going down lower and lower, finally rolls out from under the clouds, buzzes between the layer of the clouds and the horizon. The bright light fills the slope of the hill and people-pixels. This is this 20 minutes a day that we see the sun. I would probably have become blind but for the glasses.
And now that the sun fills up the hill, I also see our screen. In the sky! Being brightly spotlit, it's reflected [reverberated] in the clouds, it can be seen from everywhere. People on the streets scream and clap their hands of joy so loud that even there, on the hill, the rumble of the crowd can be heard.
And it starts!
The rhythm grows in the earphones. It becomes complicated, it's not just the alternation of colours, it's consecutions, which I remember like the letters of the alphabet. Red-blue-black-white! Red-blue-black-white! Yellow-red-yellow! Yellow-red-red-Yellow! [footnote of a great "translator": we studied on one of the disciplines, that there was one of the composers, that he wrote a musical composition "Yellow sound", sorry, don't remember his surname] The edges of the overalls fly, raising the wind. Almost no time left for looking up: I jump on a platform, flowing together with the rhythm, I am a rhythm myself [it was marked in the text]. There, above the pictures appear, the words crawl on a screen: "Dynamic mouses - 100 thousand km of race!", "Honest work - additional package!" and also something else, I don't have time to read. I notice this only because they are repeated often...
I produce and repeat colour consecutions for 20 minutes, and Eve beside me, and all more than 100 000 pixels on a hill - simultaneously. There's the advertisement on a screen: clowns, the creeping line informs of the news, and every 5 min the big inscription appears: "Energy show - for you, townspeople!"
I am enjoying myself [it's a joy for me]. The platform warms up under the foots. Many-coloured textile splashes around. At some moment Eve's flying overalls disappear from my field of vision, I turn my head astonishly - no, everything's fine, Eve works, my blue and her yellow give a saturated green colour on a screen...
And then the screen is filled with red colour again. We stand motionless, stretching out our hands and turning our faces to the south-west, and the sun sinks after the horizon. The display grows dim... grows dim... the creeping line is the last to disappear: it's situated on the very top of the hill.
The shift is over. The legs fail, I sit down on a platform and pull away the earphones. Eve falls beside. She licks her lips.
There's nowhere that we can hurry to. The pixels that are closer to the edge leave the first.

----

- I envy you, - Eve says.
We go after the work. It's long ago that it got dark, the man on point-duty on a crossroad twirls the treadles of a dynamo [dynamo-machine], above his head the pale lantern twinkle. The light-reflectors step forward from the darkness: along the edge of the sidewalks, on the angles (corners) of the houses, on the signboards of the public cafes.
Eve uses the luminous (glowing) cosmetics, her face floats like the moon in the darkness beside me. She drips "The night glance" to her eyes, and for this the irises shine the greenish-white bright light. And that's why I can see excellent (clearly), that Eve's tired and that she's afraid of something.
I sit down on a sidewalks, and Eve does the same after me. Automatic street hawker approaches in a moment, he unloads 2 energy-drinks. This beverage is only called so - "energy", in fact the energy in it - only that is on a signboard.
The hawker bowls along further: the low bodide on a 3 plastic tracks, 1 weak-sighted sensor and the cut-off point for the flow process chart. The pyramid of fiber cans with the drink dangerously lists to the right. While I watch after the hawker, Eve opens her drink and makes a big draught.
- Did something happen? - I asked.
She wags her head.
I know, that Eve lives with difficulty. Hardly (barely) holds out till the midnight, and every 24 hours like this. It's 22:45, the worst time for Eve, because I sit down on a sidewalks and drink with her instead of going home.
- Didn't you ever think of going off to the Plant [works, factory]? - Eve asks.
The drink sticks in a throat. I choke and cough. The man on point-duty keeps twirling and twirling the treadles, dynamo turns it's puffing, it's sweat, it's boredom into the light. The lantern twinkle, the light-reflectors on the sleeves, on faces, on hair of accidental passers-by twinkle.
I restore my breath. I could expect such courage from anyone but not from Eve.
- Watch upon your tongue, - I advise. - There are people around.
She draws her head into her shoulders.
- You still believe in a Plant, - she whispers, not asking but affirming. - You believe that it exists, that it's not a fairy-tale. And that it's possible to find it.

----

At home first of all I clamber up to an old bicycle without wheels with a dim monitor on a handle-bar. I twirl the treadles, the screen lights up. I enter the net. Check my mail. Only one letter (message) - from Ignat. He calls to go for a walk after the energy hour. OK, let's see.
Then, holding my breath, I enter the chapter "Reports and Statistics". I type my civil code. Everything's fine: there is a package for today and a stock [reserve] for tomorrow. We live.
The energy hour approaches. There's no wind, the rotator outside the window hardly turns the blades. the dynamic mouse, that Eve had presented for my birthday, sleeps very firmly. And in the instructions it was told, that dynamo-mouses sleep only 2 hours a day, and the rest of time it charges the battery!
I don't know what to do. These last minutes before the connection always crawl so long! It shivers, it feels chilly, the mouth is dried-up, and some of us also feel giddy. And foolish thoughts take into this head: for what all? For what I? I'm sick and tired of it, so maybe it's better to fall from the roof...
I fasten the gland on my left hand, above the elbow. From within it's covered with tiny aciculas, they stick into a skin, but it doesn't hurt. From the gland the tail-area of wires stretch out, and I connect it up with

Lussekatt
# Gesendet: 25 Jul 2006 16:21 - Edited by: Lussekatt
Antwort 

interesting Irene

WOOOOOOOAAAAH!!

Thats the most extraordinary newcomer to forum I have ever seen. Such a post with translation of the rare book!!!

Im gladely welcomming you to the Forum of Ruslana and thank you very appreciate of this text. Who are you? ukrainian? Have you translated all by yourself, the whole book?? You are surely interesting but of course dont have to answer on who you are if not want to. Maybe you simply want to appeear as a mystery synthetic!

interesting Irene
Antwort 

connect it up with the cut-off point in a wall. On a town tower the clock start to strike: 1... 2... 3... The frost on a skin tear from this strike, I close my eyes [Didn't know how to translate the expression frost (cold) on a skin - in Russian this expression means not the frost like from a refrigerator - more psychologically, inner "cold" when you're afraid of something, or expect something for a long time or understand that something very important happen].
12!
The cuff squeezes a hand more tight. The warmth spreads from acciculas: to heart. To throat. The gold sparkles flash out in front of the eyes, [they] twinkle, dance: aah, how good it feels to live! We must be happy that we live!
I sing with all my lung power. Dynamo-mouse wakes up, climbs into it's wheel and moves it's pads faster. A dim bulb lights up above the cell [square, cage].
Energy hour!
I don't need the lights - I shine myself. Of joy. I don't need the warmth - I can warm anybody. I can sing, dance, paint... probably. I can write poems and play basketball!
I take off the cuff with smile. It leaves the trace: pattern of the red points [spots]. It will disappear after an hour or 2. Now, looking closely, it takes shape of some letters... it doesn't matter for me at the time. I'm enjoying myself!
It's good that I exist [am]. It's good that I have a job. And not simple [job]: for 20 min of taking part in the show I'm given a package for 98 energo [it's like a unit]!
The door creaked - I haven't shut it. Eve enters, holding on to a wall. Her face sparkles in a twilight under the guise of a coating of luminous powder.
Hardly having looked at this face, I stop dancing immediately.
- I was fined, - says Eve with niddle-noddle [quaking] voice. - For full package [parcel].
- How?!
- I don't have a stock, - says Eve and it hardly can be heard.

interesting Irene
Antwort 

- How could it happen? - asks Ignat perplexedly. He's our neighbour. Lives in a same block with us.
- She made a missed during the show today, - I explain with a boring voice. - Made a mistake. She was fined and not given an energy package. And she doesn't have a stock.
Eve lays on a bunk and looks at the ceiling. Sometimes she flinches, like from a fever [chill]. Hands are cold, like... ice? Death?
- Ignat, - I say decidedly. - Where in the town can a booster charge be taken?
- Nowhere, - he answers quickly and turns his eyes off. - You know... only during the energy hour.
- It's not true. Remember, the Stout from the block Ή 39 told us...
- So where is this Stout now? - asks Ignat quietly.
- I can give her my stock...
- What? How can you! - Ignat is astonished.
I don't listen to him:
- ... can give it to her, it will happen tomorrow, understand? Only tomorrow! During the energy hour! She would be fired if she didn't present herself at the work. What do I say - she can just not hold out [live]!
Eve looks at the ceiling. The luminous powder got half obliterated, and my friend looks just terribly.
- Ignat, - I say. - She needs this stock just to survive!
- For the illegal bargains with energy we can be deprived of a package for a week, - says Ignat in a whisper. - It's assured... ugly death.
I look at Eve. Her eyes became sunken, the "nightly look" lights up the inflamed eyelids and eyelashes bound together.
- You, please, forgive me, - Ignat says. In fact, I don't know ... Where to find these dealers. Honestly.

interesting Irene
Antwort 

The energy hour make all people go out of doors into the street. People smile and hug each other. They kiss sitting on pavements. Drink. I pass (go) - almost run - through them.
The wind starts blowing. The blades of the wind turbines on the roofs turns around (spins) more quickly. In the windows the dots of light appear one after another. The night town becomes lighter: the road marking shines with blue-white colour. The edges of pavements also shine. The bafflers on the posts sparkle. I run, tacking in sparkling crowd.
The entrance to the basement is like a hole (diggings).
Above the hole there is a dim signboard: "Igry [games in Russian]. Games". Run for the steep footsteps. It's stuffy downstairs, and there is a smell of tobacco and sweat.
People crowd around a big table. The table seem to buzz under the pads of race cockroaches.
- Go! Go the 7-th!
- It cuts (crosses), it is a kix!
- Not kix!
[there maybe the special cockroach racing terms were used and I may have not translated this correct]
I turn my head around. The person I need sits in a corner - sprawling out on the only armchair. He threw his leg to the arm of a chair. On the sole of the heavy shoe the picture phosphoresce: the scull of a horse. There is a free space around the one who sits.
- Bald!
He half-opens his right eye.
- What do you need?
I take myself by the throat. I thrust out my tongue, as if I'm suffocating. The Bald opens the both eyes.
- What?
- The stock, - I say in a whisper. - Now. Promptly.
- I don't get down to such business, - he says on considering. - These boys, dealers are filthy.
- I wouldn't have [got down to such deal] too. But I need it very much. To whom do I have to go?
- I don't know, - he closes his eyes softly with indifference. - I wouldn't say.

interesting Irene
Antwort 

I jump out to the street again. I look around blankly. Eve will not live till the dawning. I look up into the sky: what's the time?
I'm tapped on the shoulder:
- Are you looking for someone?
I look around. I the girl seems known, I just don't remember her name. The hair is green; it stands on end, like a grass on a lawn. The sparkles race through her hair: not real, of course. Cosmetics.
She looks at me and smiles:
- It's not good to run with an anxious look after the energy hour. What happened?
I open my mouth to explain her. One second - and I will say... She still smiles. And suddenly I understand that I shouldn't say in no circumstances. She will denounce.
- Nothing happened, - I say politely. Pull off!
I run through the crossroad. I think over: she's right. In a crowd of people that just have received their packages, the running girl like me is flaring [striking eyes]? [it means that it?s the one to be noticed]
I stumble over the automatic machine with energy-drink and almost fall. The fiber cans are strewn. The policeman whistles on a crossroad. This is fir-trees ? sticks! [didn?t know how to translate it, also an expression in Russian: what next! There you are! A pretty business this! ? this is not a literal equivalents of this expression in English]
I dive into the dark space between gate and ground. They say, the policemen are payed a purse for every fined transgressor.
Is there another exit in this space between gate and ground?!
Yes, it is. I run out into the trade street. There is a glass case straight in front of me, and the fish swim in it, phosphorescing, each of the size of a round table. The bluish cold light stream in a water. I drop into the shop not thinking for a long time.
The seller is the guy of my age approximately. He smiles:
- So what, were you caught?
Through the glass case I observe after the space between gate and ground. The policeman was not there. He was lazy to run after me. But maybe he spared [me] ? nevertheless, he also had an energy hour, he felt fine and had fun, like all.
Almost all.
- What? Have you pilfered something? Or maybe have you beaten your boyfriend?
I turn my head just a little. I take in a guy at a glance from head to foot. He stops smiling:
- But-but? [it?s also typical in Russian to say so] why are you so? wild?
The guy is emaciated and very sly. A scar on a cheek. Black eyes shine like the birds? eyes. [it means that the birds? eyes shine and the eyes of this guy shine like this ? I don?t think that they shine!]
- I need a stock, - I say all of a sudden [for no apparent reason].
- What?!
- What you have heard. I need a stock promptly. Do you know where to find it?..
- Get out from here, - he says nervously.
I turn around and go towards the door. Sparkling fishes stare their huge eyes at me. I take the door-handle?
- Hold on, - the guy says.

interesting Irene
Antwort 

- Eve! Eve, wake up quickly! I found? - I lower my voice involuntarily, - the stock for you! Let?s go! Let?s go!
I shake her and persuade as long as she doesn?t open her eyes. Absolutely indifferent. It doesn?t matter for her, if she?s alive or not.
- Eve, please. I know where to go. Wake up!
Ignat brings the water in a scoop from the common kitchen ? generally speaking, the water pipe works only an hour a day and only up to the 5-th floor, but fortunately we live on the 4-th. The cold water washes away the remainders of cosmetics and brings round a little.
- Let?s go, - I persuade.
She sighs in discontinuous manner, with a sob.
- Are you a human or a rag [duster]? ? I say maliciously. ? Are you going to put your pads together [expression syn. for the verb die ? like insects do] and die? Then take into consideration, that I don?t make friends with rags, I wipe my feet upon [against, by] it!
She blinks. She bites her lip. Nods. Honestly tries to wake up. I grasp her by the cold hands and pull, as if I take her out of a bog.
She wakes up.
- Ignat, would you help me? do you go [proceed] with us?

He looks at me with his eyes round [in Russian this expression means - eyes round of the astonishment or something like that]. Probably for the whole minute [this word whole was used to show how long this minute had passed]. At last he shakes his head.
- I can?t.
- Mangy coward! [I still don?t understand why the cowards are called mangy]
- Listen, I have a father and a mother. If I would be brought to trial for the operations with energy?
I don?t waste my time for him anymore. At all.
Eve drinks the bottle of an aerated water, then I help her to reach the toilet. I help her to come downstairs and leave the house. Her hand lays on my shoulder. Who cares? We just walk! We are inseparable friends.
- Is it a long way to go? ? asks Eve in a whisper.
- Not very. We?ll take a rickshaw [it is a light (not heavy), appeared in Japan 2-seat carriage, a human harness to it]
There are not so many rickshaws in our district ? the majority can?t afford that. But there?s one stop ? on a crossroad in 2 blocks from our house.
There are already less people on the street. They have had a long walk went away to their houses. It?s good for us, pixels, we can sleep in the morning [till dinner]. But what if somebody needs to go for the shift in the mornings?
Eve crawls her legs with difficulty.
- Girls, do you have problems? ? the man on point-duty screams, not stopping twirling the treadles. He is bored.
- No! ? I scream in response. ? My friend got dead drunk, but it?s permissible, it?s her birthday today!
- Aah! ? the man on point-duty presses on the treadles more violently, and the lamp above his head blazes up more brightly. ? So, congratulate her on behalf of me!
One block is left to walk by.
- Eve, - I say in a whisper. ? Can you go faster?
She wags her head. I look into the sky: a few hours left till the dawning.
Eve?s hand slides down of my shoulder. Eve falls down to the asphalt slowly and fluently. I turn back to look at the man on point-duty: his lamp blazes too brightly. We?re in the middle of the street, like on a palm. A scrap of paper, convoluted to a form of a tubule, stings my pocket [it means that this scrap of paper disturbs].
A street peddler drives to us. I [take] buy a bottle with energy-drink, open it, and pour it out on Eve?s head.
- What for? ? she asks in whisper.
- In order for you to move, fool [silly girl]!
- No? What to live for?
I hardly keep myself from weighing slap in the face out.
- Because? we (you and me) will go away off the Plant!
I say the first thing to come to mind, but Eve suddenly returns to life:
- Is it true?
- Of course!
I jerk her up by her legs ? but, you see, she?s about 1,5 times heavier than me.
- We?ll escape together, - I speak droningly. ? We?ll move out from the town? Pass through the mountains? And one morning we?ll get up to the top and see the Plant. There are a lot of energy there. Just be filled with that [maybe she means the energy drink]. The energy hour lasts from the morning till the night. Nobody jumps from the roof there, nobody hangs oneself on tights, everyone wants to live there, and everybody lives. Understand? It?s beautiful. And huge. Higher than the heaven.
Now it?s quicker (faster). I almost carry Eve on myself.
- And it?s not a fairy-tale? ? She smiles weakly.
- No, - I speak as confidently as it?s possible. ? If so many people repeat this, how can it be a fairy-tale?
Here there is the end of a block (quarter). For a long, terrible second it seems to me, that there were no rickshas on a stop: ooh, there?s one. Empty. It turns around slowly, it?s going to leave?

interesting Irene
Antwort 

- Stop! ? I unload Eve to the pavement and run after her. ? Stop!
- My changing is over.
- A lot I care! I will pay as much as you want! Come on, please!
Ricksha is already old, he?s about 40 ? he takes a view of me.
- Where to?
I tell the address. He hesitates for a whole minute.
- All right. Get in.
------

We bowl along the empty streets. Wind turbines turn around in the darkness quietly. The only headlight in the ricksha is on the rudder, it blazes up brighter when he pedals, and almost becomes dim when he slows down on turnings.
I check with what was written on a sheet of paper. Phosphorescent ink already shines not as bright as at that time in a fish store, when a guy with the eyes of a bird wrote that address and a password to me in exchange for the heaps of money. Till the morning the ink will entirely get exhausted, and there will be no evidences left.
The houses [buildings] around get higher. It is a block of sky-scrapers, almost uninhabited, morose [gloomy] block. The big stone columns loom up in a mist ? the towers. To the left ? The Broken Tower, former sky-scraper, it had fractured like a chip [sliver] at the level of the 20-th floor. I was about 5 years old at that time.
Ricksha pedals slower. He looks around. Finally he brakes resolutely:
- We have arrived!
I pay and move out from the carriage. Help Eve to get out. We?re on a little square, there are the dark towers to the left and to the right, and a pedestal of some ancient monument in the centre. The monument was pulled down long time ago, only the stone legs in stone shoes with a lacing left.
Ricksha goes away. Now that we?re all alone in this strange place.
- May I sit? ? Eve asks.
- No. If we were about to go ? so we need to go. ? I scrutinize a sheet [of paper]. For the first time it comes to my mind: what if a guy from a store with fish lied to me? What if he decided to laugh? If we?ll not find any dealers there, but we?ll find? [What of it] can be found in the block of sky-scrapers in the night?!
- We need to go there, - I say firmly, in order for Eve not to doubt about my confidence at least [even] for one second. I lead her ? now that she goes almost herself ? through the square, to the tower.
We turn the corner. I slow down. It seems that it?s that very place ? the store? Former store. The storefront is nailed up. Across the door ? obliquely ? there is a patch [label]; approaching closely I contrived to read: sorry, we don?t work.
And the coded lock.
Quite new. Very difficult [complicated], newest [with many devices [contrivances] in it]. And from above - for appearance ? it is painted over with the grey dye. It comes disguised as an old lumber.
And for the first time there I get afraid. Because the guy with the eyes of a bird didn?t lie, as it turns out to be. And if I will touch this tower now ? I will be involved to an action, which is called illegal bargain [transaction] with energy. There?s no crime more terrible in our town. The energy police can do anything with a person, who will be caught on it: to beat, to jeer at him [or her], to kill? Though anyway he (she) will die. Deprivation {of the energy package} ? and hallo [in a terrible meaning ? good bye, see you in the other world or something like this].
Eve breathes hardly [pants] above my ear. She?s also afraid.
- Will we maybe go away? ? she asks and it can slightly be heard. ? Somehow? I?ll hold out?
I hold my breath ? and dial the code on a door. Long. 8-digit.
Nothing happens during the long minute. Then the lantern lights up above our heads. It gleams for about 30 seconds. We stay, we don?t go away anywhere.
The lantern fades away. 1 minute more passes and the door drives off aside with a clank.
- Your grandmother is sick, - I say quickly. ? She asked to hand over the patty and the pot of butter to her.
- Get in, Little Red Riding Hood, - an invisible in the darkness man answers.

interesting Irene
Antwort 

There are no lamps in the room at all. Only the mirror [mirror-like] jar with the glow-worms. It makes me nervous: we don?t see the face of the person who let us in. And there are night glasses on him: he sees us excellent.
Eve gropes after the chair in the darkness and takes a sit. For about 3 minutes we?re silent: Me and Eve {we} stare at the darkness, the man scrutinize us. I keep myself under control ? I pretend that it doesn?t matter to me.
Finally he decides that we are those people for whom we give ourselves away.
- How much? ? he asks without prefaces.
- 100 energo, - I say quickly. ? At least 80. In one package. Right now.
- 1000 coins. By cash.
It takes my breath away: I don?t have enough money. We have 882 for 2 of us, not a coin more. And 0 on a bill ? both Eve and me.
Eve groans through clenched teeth. I step on her leg.
- 700, - I say calmly.
He keeps silence. The glow-worms fly and run over in the jar. They rustle. It is a terrifying sound.
- Girls, haven?t you understood where did you come to? Whether you pay and take on the fuel, or you don?t go out of there. It is such a rule.
Eve hardly breathes. I lean the weight of my leg upon her foot more heavily. It might hurt her [a lot], but now I need her to be silent!
- If we don?t come back till the morning, - I say as indifferently as I can, - your grandmother will get upset greatly. And she will send the woodcutters.
- Fool. There will be nothing there by the morning. Even your dead bodies.
- [I see that] You?re wild, - he says with astonishment. ? 950. And no concessions anymore. Do you have money with you?
- 800, - it?s more and more difficult for me to restrain tremble.
- 882. ? I don?t stand [maintain] and close my eyes. I listen to the rustling of glow-worms in a jar for the whole minute.
- It's bargain, - he says finally. ? Just out of respect for your recalcitrance, baby.
He goes towards the jar with the glow-worms. He opens the lid, flings his hand inside, scoops handful (fie! (ugh!) (faugh!)). He throws them away into the fortochka [Russian word, it is a small opening window pane, or window leaf]. Then he closes the jar again, puts it in it?s previous place. The glow-worms try to fly up and hit against the glass walls.
- How many of you go out there, - the man murmurs. ? [you, they] don?t think about the stock, live for one day? And die. You, - he turns to [towards] me unexpectedly, - How much time will you hold out without the top-up?
- I don?t know? - I rummage in my pockets brokenly, having gathered the money. One 100 fails. Having payed to the ricksha off, could I give 100 instead of 10 to him?!
- And I also don?t know, - he says with the strange expression. ? Well, how long do I have to wait for you? Give me money!
I hold everything that I have out to him. He recounts in a second ? in an absolute dark. In glasses.
- Baby, you were wrong, - he says very blandly. ? There are 782 here.
I feel all over the pockets for the 10th time: side, breast, inner?
In the depth of the room one more door opens. It seems that 3 men go in ? they are huge, they smell of skin and sweat, jingle of metal, wheeze. The convex lenses of their glasses reflect the jar with the glow-worms.
- What? Have you decided to play toys [toy, trifle] with us? ? The dealer almost hisses. At the moment when he?s taking a step to [towards] me, my fingers grope for a tightly convoluted denomination in the depth of the pocket on trousers.
The dealer calms down. He recounts money again. He nods to the burglars in the darkness:
- Full forecastle. In one package. To this, sickly? And keep your eyes open at this wild!
The teeth gleam in the darkness. The dealer smirks.
- Follow them, girls. They will not offend you.

-----

One of them goes in advance. And 2 ? on each side. Just as if [quasi] they were convoying. Eve clutches at my shoulder.
We come out to the back yard, filled up with trash and lumber. I lift my head up and see that the sky becomes brighter little by little.
The guy on the front goes out, ordering us to stay on our place [not to leave, not to move out]. The heavy hot (fervent) lamp lowers itself on my shoulder.
- Listen you, black? Do you have a boyfriend?
- Yes, - I answer through clenched teeth. ? Kara-czu champion.
- You lie! - the Burglar laughs. The glasses and teeth gleam.
He passed his hand over my back. I jump aside.
- Pack it in, - his workmate says. ? Boss will kill you.
- Oy [Russian pronoun], I entreat you? [this expression is used when you?re sure that nothing will happen]. Boss will not even get to know.
At this moment the guy who had went in advance came back. He puts down [on earth] a flat brief case in front of Eve. He opens it, takes the cuff out. Eve rolls the left sleeve up. She is trembling.
The cuff covers Eve?s hand a little higher than elbow.
I don?t think about anything at this moment, even about the Burglar behind my back. I look at Eve. The brief case buzzes quietly. Eve sighs deeply, she strains herself, and she smiles? Well, that?s all. Finally. We managed, we finally did it!
The bright light fills the yard up ? the derelict boxes, jerricans, 3 burglars with a brief case Eve and me.
- Stand still. The energy control.
My legs grow numb.
The burglars don?t even think about ?standing still?. They thrust their hands into their bosoms with one equal move? What do they have there? Dischargers? Self-inflicted wounds?
Eve jumps up and throws herself into the shadow, dragging the brief case behind. I follow her. For some reason it seems to me, that the most important is to take the cuff off Eve ? then they may prove {it means ? they can try}, that we are privy to the bargain. Maybe we were just passing by?
Oh, they will not prove anything. The customary laws don?t apply to the people, who are being suspected in bargains with energy. And we were caught red-handed, red-handed!
I turn around through my shoulder?
And I see {the picture}.
The inspector is alone for some reason. The burglars throw themselves on [beat] him [beat] from 3 quarters ? they have nothing to loose. One of them is untwining the chain above his head. The second has a self-inflicted wound, the third has a discharger. I understand that it?s necessary to run just at this moment, but I cannot move.
Probably the whole moment passes.
The inspector pushes off the earth. He beats the opponent?s [with a self-inflicted wound] chest with his left leg. The burglar falls. The inspector turns around like a screw in the air, his left leg finds the jaw of the other assailant. He [the second] falls down, dropping down the weapon. The third burglar shoots from a discharger ? I see a slim sky-blue arch. And next moment a high-capacity discharge wisp rushes out towards me ? the blue loop. The sparkles rush. The smell of something scorched spreads harshly.
The burglar falls without any sound and don?t stir anymore. The one who was beaten in the jaw by the leg also lays motionless. But the other shoulders the discharger?
It seems that I hear how the thin steel needle sings in a flight.
The inspector knocks it with a glove ? the sound of metal scratching about the metal. And next second the blue arch sparkles again. The hissing that hardly can be heard, as if the thin textile breaks. The body tumbles down heavily. And the silence comes.
Eve plucks me by the hand.
It?s dawning. Damn it, we could have a chance in the darkness! We ran how we had never run in our lives. The stumps, the stubs, the pieces of broken crockery, tins ? the big dump ? everything scatter from under our legs. We toss among the piles of jerricans, we beat our way through the thicket of warped armature, we need the exit, exit, exit, but there?s no exit, only the new mountains {this word is used in Russian to express the big quantity of something} of garbage, the huge dynamo-wheel, tumbled down awry, the rotten puddles, the mountains of black fused tire-covers?
- Help! {to Eve, it?s not that she asks somebody to help}
Eve doesn?t understand immediately, what I want to do. But I thrust the weight of my shoulder upon the tower of stinking rubber, and Eve, having understood, and Eve flings herself to help me. One? Two? my eyes get prominent. Three! The lid ?tower? fell, blocking the gangway between 2 heavy pulleys ? the accumulators that have served its time. He will not pass through! He will not pass through there!
From the opposite side (adverse party) of the obstruction (blockage) the blue arch hits. The tire-covers fuse and drop the holes. The black smoke arises?
We run again headlong.
To the right. To the left. We should split up, then one of us would have a chance? I thought about it in such a way as if I had been out-of-body, as if it?s not my destiny had been decided, but the other. However. Anyway, there?s no choice: the way (road) forward is one, without crotches. To the right, to the left?
Eve cries out (screams) constrainedly. Having run several steps more mechanically, I turn my head around; Eve lays on the ground, and the black inspector?s figure towers above her.

interesting Irene
Antwort 

- Run! ? Eve screams with her last beat of strength.
I would be very glad to take this advice, but I can?t. There is a metallic after-taste on my lips. I run like a primed animal, I fly, and suddenly the exit opens in front of me!
Having forced my way through the breach in a concrete fence with the last jerk, I run out into the street?
And at this moment I?m grasped by the hair. From behind.

-----

The room where we had given up the money was empty. The jar with the glow-worms lies on a table as before: they don?t shine anymore.
The inspector shakes Eve and me off the floor. Exactly shook off: before this he was pulling us. I land (touch down) on my arms and knees. Eve falls sideways ? lubberly, as if she is stuffed with cotton wool. She knocks her head against the wall, but she doesn?t stop smiling with a strange senseless smile {this tautology is from the text}.
The inspector looks around quickly. There?s nothing and no one in the devastated room: only the glow-worms rustle as before. In the morning light the green sparkles turned into disgusting insects. The concave mirror inside the jar distorts their reflections, and they become more ugly because of this. Just monsters.
- Of course, he went out, - the inspector says to himself. And turns around to us. ? Have you got yourselves into a mess, goats? [These words were used not in a direct sense; the people who always don?t keep their place are called goats]
We keep silence.
The inspector jerks Eve?s hand up. The sleeve rolls down to the shoulder: higher than the elbow the trace of the cuff is seen clearly.
- How much did you pay? ? the inspector asks.
Eve breezes with difficulty. I name the sum.
- Where from do you have so much money?
Strange question. We just gave everything we had, to the last kopeck. From now we will eat free synthetic vermicelli? until we die of the lack of energy ? Eve will die tomorrow, and I will die the day after tomorrow.
The inspector looks at Eve narrowly. Then he tshifts his gaze to me.
He?s not young. More precisely, he?s outside the age. His face is covered with furrows, but these wrinkles are not senile. They look like joints of the armour slabs. The eyes look from the black holes like from the deep nozzles. I recollect how he had got rid of 3 assailants. They probably lay there until now?
- You payed for a trash,- he says unexpectedly softly. ? For a falsity. It?s not energy.
I look at Eve. She smiles.
- It?s not energy, - he says with pressure. ? It?s a substitute. Two or three refuellings like that ? and hallo, madness.
Eve smiles. Just as if everything that happens with us is a joke. A game. I look at her with horror. Then I tshift my gaze to inspector, he nods:
- These rabbles poison you for your money.
- But otherwise she wouldn?t live till the next morning! ? these words break from me.
The armour slabs of his face budge slightly notably ? he knits his brows.
- Many don?t live to see it. There?s not enough energy for all. It?s not enough anyway! That?s why? the fines are so cannibal.
It got silent. Eve keeps silence. I keep silence. The glow-worms in a jar calm down little by little.
- Go away, - says the inspector. ? Take her away? And your breath must not be here. {Russian expression}.
I look at him and don?t believe my ears.
- Go! ? He repeats more loudly. ? I count till 5. One?
I jump as if I was poked by an awl. Eve lag behind me only on 1 second. We collide in the doors, burst it open, run through the dark corridor nip and tuck. And shoot forward to under the sky. To the right ? the wall of the derelict tower. To the left ? the fence of the dump.
- Four, - the controller says somewhere there, behind, in the empty room.
I heard about such an amusement. They leave the victim, and overtake then ? and kill supposedly in an attempt to escape. Such an amusement for policemen.
We run. Sweep over the square. Rush out into the street, ?dive? to the gateway (space between gate and ground), run through it out. The rats dash aside from under our legs. We can hear the pursuit behind our backs ? this inspector runs as if he?s not a human at all?
People begin coming across us. The yard-keeper pedals the garbage harvester: the wrappings and packings of energy-drink scatter from under the round brush. He looks at us as if we are rabid, and then we slacken our pace.
The inspector will not kill us in view of witnesses?
Or will?
Finally we make up our mind to turn back.
There?s no pursuit. The count ?5? had sounded long ago, but the persecutor never appeared.
We fall down to the edge of pavement. We sit trying to recover our breath. The drink peddler crawls up to us and caterpillar handcart with sandwiches {butterbroads} with him. I poke my credit-card to the handcart slit ? and the indignant red eye lights up. I forgot: there was no money?
But the drink is due to us for free. We drink in twos jars.
- How are you?
Eve keeps silence for about a minute, as if she?s listening to her own sensations.
- Strange? I feel giddy. And my spittle is bitter. But I?m kind of alive? How did you think ? did he lie?
Maybe he lied. I shrug my shoulders.
- Did he let us go? ? asks Eve carefully.
- Yes, something like this.
- Didn?t he write the civil code?!
- No.
- It doesn?t happen so, - says Eve considering this.
I get up with difficulty ? all muscles ache (whine), all articulations ache.
- Listen, my friend? The morning comes. We?re alive. What else {do you need}? Let?s go and sleep, we need to go to work in the evening, don?t we?
I get up and drag myself along the street, turn my head trying to find my bearings. Now we haven?t got a chance to get rickshaw, we will have to reach it with our twos?
Eve comes up with me and put her hand on my shoulder.
- You know?
- What?
- Thank you, - she says so that it can hardly be heard.

-------

Lussekatt
Antwort 

interesting Irene

amazing......I guess I have to print it all out to read it, its soooooo much!

Ivan
Antwort 

Lussekatt
10 pages... wooow

Katherine
Antwort 

[Didn't know how to translate the expression frost (cold) on a skin - in Russian this expression means not the frost like from a refrigerator - more psychologically, inner "cold" when you're afraid of something, or expect something for a long time or understand that something very important happen].

I can help you! i think you mean "a chill", this word is normally used when describing horror as cold.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . >>
Deine Antwort
             :) ;) :-p :-( ... Disable smilies

» Name  » Passwort 

- Home -

Online now: Guests - 1; Members - 0
Most users ever online: 43 [29 Mai 2020 02:21]

chat forum software miniBB™ © 2001-2020 admin | Ruslana. Official site