Vesna Festival (hope this works) - lots of picture (1)

- Home - Registrierung - Antwort - Suchen - Statistik - Regeln - FAQ

- ΣκπΰΏνρόκΰ - Πσρρκθι - English - Deutsch - 

Ruslana Forum / Off-Topic / Vesna Festival (hope this works) - lots of picture
. 1 . 2 . >>
Autor Beitrag
Canadiankid
Antwort 

Ok, so I went to this festival back in May, but I didn't post any pictures about it here. So now without furthur adeu are some pictures :).

Centennial Auditorium (where it was held):

During the official welcome to Vesna:

Lastiwka Ukrainian Choir:

Children's Hopak:

Some older professional groups doing dances (Yevshan and Pavlychenko and groups from Saskatoon and Volya is from Edmonton):

An artsy-ish picture with the centre-piece and program

I didn't get any pictures of the big kolomeyka at the end because I filmed it instead :D... however the file is quite large... wonderful nonetheless though :)

susanne
Antwort 

A just have a small question. Do you integrate in the canadian society at all? do you marry poeple with other background, english, african etc or is it taboo? You seem to be a very closed community in Canada. That's up to you of course whether you want to be a closed community or not, but it has its negative sides as well.

Dieter
Antwort 

Thanks for those beautifull pics Canadiankid :)

Canadiankid
Antwort 

susanne, my family has been in Canada for nearly 100 years, and I am Canadian-born... add to that I am half German ;) so do you think Ukrainians integrate? It's just that the Ukrainians that left Ukraine around the time that my ancestors left there were persecutions against the Ukrainian culture, so those immigrants tended to hold onto the culture (music, customs, dancing, etc) a lot stronger than those that left the country at other times.

It's not taboo for a Ukrainian to marry anyone else... and in Canada many different cultures are VERY visible... while the states are known as the melting pot, Canada is known as the breadbasket or mosaic because the cutures are still very prevalent in the fabric of the country. haha, that last sentence sounded professional.

Also, not all Ukrainians are as into the culture as others are... compare me to my older brother for example... he doesn't know nearly as much as I do about Ukraine, nor does he really have a keen interest to learn, but I do. :D

susanne
Antwort 

I see. But when I saw the pictures and they way some canadians speak on this board I thought that you were a closed community, but it depends on the person. I already thought that canada wasn't really a melting pot and more separate than the US. In america everyone feels american. I knew that because some immigrants in europe sometimes move to the UK and canada to do the things that they are not allowed to do in holland or being judged for. I remember that a large group of somalis moved away from holland, because they couldn't live as a closed community.

Guido
Antwort 

Nice costumes and nice pics.
Thank you.
And once again I meet Dieter. But it's ok. When he's here he's not hugging Lusse once again.
Heure vent moest et wete !

Dieter
Antwort 

Guido
Heye probleme dakier ok zit... anderes bollekem wel zelle
En kheb ze maar 3keer gehugged :p

Guido
Antwort 

Maar 3 keer ?
Nee, blijf maar zitten, 't is hier al kalm genoeg.
Ik heb ook een poging gedaan om die dvd te bestellen, maar mijn baas moet meewerken met zijn visakaart.
Ik houd je op de hoogte.

sandra_
Antwort 

Canadiankid
wow! nice pictures!!

Christiane
# Gesendet: 23 Jul 2005 20:44
Antwort 

Canadiankid
These are nice pictures! And it´s always nice to see children doing folk dances.

Cosa_nostra
Antwort 

Wonderfil pics!!! Thanx!!!

Dynamo
Antwort 

Nice pics, Nathan ;)...Seems really different from the bloor west festival in Toronto....You should go to the bloor west festival one day, you know who came last year ;), Okean Elzy came the year before, and apparently this year Skryabin is coming :-).

I think the Vesna festival has alotmore history behind it though.

A just have a small question. Do you integrate in the canadian society at all? do you marry poeple with other background, english, african etc or is it taboo? You seem to be a very closed community in Canada. That's up to you of course whether you want to be a closed community or not, but it has its negative sides as well.

As CanadianKid said, people are different. Personally, I integrate with Canadian society alot, although I dont know how "Canadian" my area really is since alotttt of the people where I live are either Italian, or Portuguese. Ukrainians here have to integrate in the Canadian society, there is no real "Ukrainian community", of course there is smaller Ukrainian communities but no big ones big enough where everyone would speak Ukrainian, everyone would eat Ukrainian food, etc.

As for marrying people with a different backround, people are different. I know many Ukrainians who dont care about that, and I know many who do. Personally, although Im far too young to begin thinking about marriage, but at this time Im pretty sure I will marry a girl with Ukrainian blood :-).

Guido
Antwort 

I might have some ukrainian relatives in Canada.
A lot of dutch people (my father is a ducthman) left the Netherlands in 1500 for cities as Danzig (Gdansk) and went to Russia, asked by the tsarina, who asked them to go to Ukraina, where they did a very good job in agriculture and industry.
In WW II the Ukrainians with dutch "blood" were given the oportunity to go to Canada.
So there might be a chance that you are a far cousin (and Ruslana a far neece) ::-)))

Lussekatt
Antwort 

Canadiankid

Thanks for sharing the photos. I would love to see the "Kolomyika" video as well if it can be worked out somehow. I laughed at the photo with the man in the air with his nose pointing at the floor. The photos remind of Ruslanas videos of Znayu Ya and Kolomyika with the hutsuls. Their ukrainian clothes.

Canadiankid
Antwort 

lusse, I can try sending it by email, because there isnt a place where i could host the file... its too large :(... unless obw still has that site of his, but i would have to send the file to him and he would have to agree to have it on there...

anyways just let me know if you email account has enough space for a 90.5 MB file ;)... its around 6 mins long, but it was soooo much fun :)

susanne
Antwort 

dynamo
Well looking at the pictures your community seems to be 'little ukraine' like you have 'little italy' in new york. I wondered whether your community was like 'little italy' and you had your own robert de niro, al pacino like the american-italians have, but appartly not. You just do this for fun. so now I know.

guido
were those dutch poeple from the eastern part of holland? I know that the east was rich because of a trading route called the 'hanze', cities like dantzig, luebeck and riga were a part of that. I know that that trading route stopped when the western part (holland) became more rich that was around that time, late medieval times. I can't seem to find another reason why dutch poeple wanted to move around that time.
I didn't know you were half dutch.

susanne
Antwort 

And guido I can understand why the tsarina wanted us there. We are indeed very crafty and smart poeple.

Guido
Antwort 

I can understand why the tsarina wanted us there
You know who stimulated Hollands golden age ?
People from Antwerp and other flemish cities - running away from the spanish.
It's also the reason those people left for Dantzig (and other 'Hansa-citys')
But I'll read that book once again.
Title : De oekraine - het land en zijn bevolking
Author : Hugh P. Vowles
Adapted by : JB TH Spaan
Publisher : Van Holkema & Warendorf NV - Amsterdam - 1939
I bought it at De Slegte in Antwerp.
It was the only book I found there about Oekraine.

Guido
Antwort 

The chapter about "Nederlandsche invloeden" starts when those dutchmen were already in Dantzig :
De mededeeling van haar agenten, dat de Doopsgezinden in de buurt van Dantzig, die bewogen zouden kunnen worden als kolonisten naar de Oekraine te trekken, van Nederlandschen oorsprong waren, zal Catharina de Groote er in 1787 des te gemakkelijker toe hebben gebracht haar handteekening te zetten onder de vrijbrieven, die aan deze nieuwe burgers van het Russische rijk zouden worden verstrekt.
De eerste nederlanders zijn in Rusland gekomen in de tijd van Peter de grote, toen in onze nederlanden de 80-jarige oorlog woedde.

susanne
Antwort 

Guido
I knew that. i have a southern surname (brabants) but my grand father comes from amsterdam. The so-called 'val van antwerpen'

summary of the dutch text
Catharine the great signed free passages for dutch protestants to live as colonists in the russian empire. (the ukraine)

Question to the canadians: guido says that the canadians with ukranian background as related to those dutch colonists. Are you protestant and what kind of surname do you have? It could be a dutch name that has changed.

Dynamo
Antwort 

Question to the canadians: guido says that the canadians with ukranian background as related to those dutch colonists. Are you protestant and what kind of surname do you have? It could be a dutch name that has changed.

Personally, Im Ukrainian Catholic (almost like Roman Catholic, but with some different rules), and my surname is Fedak, luckily for me, its a pure Ukrainian name :-). Im not sure about the other Ukrainians on here, Im sure some Ukrainians could be dutch, though.

Cosa_nostra
Antwort 

Dynamo
Ukrainian Catholic (almost like Roman Catholic, but with some different rules),

Hey... You are all from the western Ukraine, aren't you?
This religion is very popular there, so I am not surprised :-))

Dynamo
Antwort 

Hey... You are all from the western Ukraine, aren't you?
This religion is very popular there, so I am not surprised :-))

My whole family is from there, but Im not sure about the other Ukrainian Canadians on here...Are you sure theres alot of Ukrainian Catholics there? I always thought there was almost no Ukrainian Catholics in Ukraine, anywhere, for some reason I thought pretty much everyone was Ukrainian Orthodox..Guess I was wrong :).

Canadiankid
Antwort 

Ukrainian Catholicism is big in Western Ukraine. I believe at the time my ancestors on my grandpas side moved to canada the region was part of austria-hungary, so that would be western ukraine... but i think my grandmas family came from around kyiv... however my mom is Ukrainian Catholic. I am roman catholic though because of my dad... been to the Ukrainian Catholic church lots though :).

Ukrainian Catholic is pretty much the same as Orthodox though ;)... both have divine liturgy etc i think. but the catholic of course recognizes the pope, and there may be a few other doctrinal differences.

Cosa_nostra
Antwort 

Dynamo
but Im not sure about the other Ukrainian Canadians on here...
I was talking about your family :-))

...Are you sure theres alot of Ukrainian Catholics there?
I am. It was a cause of history. As the western Ukraine was a part of Poland and Austia and so on it was recognizing the Catholic religion. :-)))

Hm... I see I am the only one Orthodox here :-)))

Dynamo
Antwort 

I am. It was a cause of history. As the western Ukraine was a part of Poland and Austia and so on it was recognizing the Catholic religion. :-)))

Well, I asked someone, and it seems you two are right ;). Im not sure how many people live in Western Ukraine ( I think about 6 or 7 million?) but roughly 70% of people there are Ukrainian Catholic, so that would probably be about 5 or 5.5 milion..It seems big for western Ukraine, but I think its a reall small minority for the entire Ukraine.

Cosa_nostra
Antwort 

Dynamo
It seems big for western Ukraine, but I think its a reall small minority for the entire Ukraine.
It is. But we have to respect that religion, as it is still a great number of people. Almost a 9th part of the whole number of the people living in our country! That is a minority, but the number is still very big!

Canadiankid
Antwort 

Ok I have the Kolomyjka video on the web now... but only for a short while (it expires) so if you were wanting to see it get it soon.

It's found at this link

However to view it you muct have the Quicktime player. Also keep in mind my hand is over my head holding the record button on my digital camera the entire time, so be understanding if it is a little shaky at times... I hope those that see it enjoy it. :)

Also for those with slow connections you may not want to get it... the file is nearly 93 MB.

Lussekatt
Antwort 

Canadiankid

I tried to see it now but I got this in reply:

Unfortunately, the link you have clicked is not available.
Your transfer cannot be completed. Most likely the file has exceeded its allotted bandwidth or has been removed by the original sender or a recipient.

ShakiFanatico
# Gesendet: 5 Aug 2005 15:01 - Edited by: ShakiFanatico
Antwort 

Lussekatt

Why don't you download that videoclip here from Muzon?

. 1 . 2 . >>
Deine Antwort
             :) ;) :-p :-( ... Disable smilies

» Name  » Passwort 

- Home -

Online now: Guests - 5; Members - 0
Most users ever online: 43 [29 Mai 2020 02:21]

bulletin board script miniBB™ © 2001-2020 admin | Ruslana. Official site